Thread: Custom Brush Eraser

Custom Brush Eraser

Hi there!

If this option already exists sorry, you guys can delete the thread. But I did not find it. I wanted to use a custom brush as an eraser, so I can maintain the texture of the painting when erasing something. Maybe in the Brush Designer there could be a blend mode called "Erase", something like what Krita does. Or maybe add a setting to enable canvas texture with the Eraser tool.

Cheers!

I agree with this concept Daniel. I went looking for an option in Brush Designer to have it erase instead of add paint.

The reason I think we need this is because I use under-paintings in my artwork and I want creative brush strokes to remove paint from a layer so that the underpainting shows through in a brush like fashion.
    Robert Hopkins

This is on the official suggestions list There are some issues with adding an erase function, so no promises, but we will be looking into it.

The eraser does actually respond to paint depth/texture, but only slightly at the low pressure range (as it's designed more to remove paint than edit it). You can see it happening if you use it on thick oil paint, but anything thinner won't make much difference. A handy work around for erasing specific brush patterns is to add the design on a separate layer then either turn that into a stencil or use the magic wand to grab the shape of the selection and switch layers to delete paint.

Thanks for the suggestions Hannah. I will give your suggestions a try!
    Robert Hopkins

How about adding smooth function to erasers?
    Hardware:
    Windows 10 Pro Hexcore workstation 24GB + Cintiq 22HD, Windows 10 Surface Pro 4 i5

Can this work with fashion design related images? I am fashion designer and planning to start drawing images

Hello Margaret
    Yes, as of AR6 any Custom Brush can now be used as an Eraser.
    There’s a tick-box in it’s Settings panel labelled ‘Eraser Mode’ which will turn the Erase function On/Off.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram