Thread: Anyone running AR5 on a Wacom Mobilestudio Pro?

Anyone running AR5 on a Wacom Mobilestudio Pro?

Just wondering if anyone has AR5 running on a WACOM Mobilestudio Pro. If so, how does it look/run?

No, but I run it on a Cintiq Companion 2

The Companion 2 has the same screen size/resolution as the 13" MobileStudio Pro, so I'll offer this:

1. It works as well as on anything else. Artrage, as a .net application, is highly portable.

2. There is a slight inconvenience related to the high screen resolution, which Artrage support has said they will address in the near future. The pitch of these screens is so tiny, some global magnification is necessary, under the Windows Display--> "Change the Size of All Items". Without increasing to at least 125%, the icons, text, etc are too small to read.

My personal preference would be for 150% or greater global magnification. But with greater than 125% global magnification, Windows hands Artrage a virtual window that has a smaller raster than the actual screen pitch. The higher a mag setting one chooses, the smaller the raster Artrage sees.

So I stick with 125% magnification. If I take my glasses off and work close to the screen, it's workable. The same should be true with the 13" MobileStudioPro.

If the 16" MobileStudio Pro has an even higher DPI, I would want to examine it in person to be sure that I could work the machine at 125% magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodartist View Post
    The Companion 2 has the same screen size/resolution as the 13" MobileStudio Pro, so I'll offer this:

1. It works as well as on anything else. Artrage, as a .net application, is highly portable.

2. There is a slight inconvenience related to the high screen resolution, which Artrage support has said they will address in the near future. The pitch of these screens is so tiny, some global magnification is necessary, under the Windows Display--> "Change the Size of All Items". Without increasing to at least 125%, the icons, text, etc are too small to read.

My personal preference would be for 150% or greater global magnification. But with greater than 125% global magnification, Windows hands Artrage a virtual window that has a smaller raster than the actual screen pitch. The higher a mag setting one chooses, the smaller the raster Artrage sees.

So I stick with 125% magnification. If I take my glasses off and work close to the screen, it's workable. The same should be true with the 13" MobileStudioPro.

If the 16" MobileStudio Pro has an even higher DPI, I would want to examine it in person to be sure that I could work the machine at 125% magnification.
    Thank you for the feedback!

Do you run any other paint programs such as Corel Painter as well? Same issues?

Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodartist View Post
    n. But with greater than 125% global magnification, Windows hands Artrage a virtual window that has a smaller raster than the actual screen pitch. The higher a mag setting one chooses, the smaller the raster Artrage sees.
    Just a quick note, this is only really an issue when using the 'use window size' button for the default canvas size. If you want a larger canvas at the same ratio, click 'use window size' and then change the % upwards to double/triple the canvas size.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Thank you for the feedback!

Do you run any other paint programs such as Corel Painter as well? Same issues?
    Corel Painter does not have the issue. But the licensing for this very expensive program is a pain. With Painter 2016 (I haven't tried 2017) they are very strict about installs. You have to beg and scrape to a call center to get another install if you lose one due to machine failure, etc. It's not as developed as CC licensing, where you can manage licenses without the machines.

So I actually prefer Artrage, because I can pick up any one of my machines and use it. I have Painter, but haven't used it in a while.

You will also find that the Painter programming team is hidden behind a corporate bureaucracy. They pay no attention to bugs unless you have a support contract. There is nobody to talk to.

MobileStudio 16

I've been really enjoying the MobileStudio 16. It's the perfect size for me to carry to work each day, but large enough to run just about anything I want.

Currently I'm trying to find out why it will not switch from the integrated Intel GPU to the Quadro, even though I set it to do that in the Nvidia settings panel. It works well for Photoshop and Painter, but not ArtRage 5.

I guess I need to contact Ambient Design tech support and ask.

The pixel based functions, which comprise most of Artrage, do not benefit from a fancy GPU.

The exceptions would be the 1. transform tool. 2. Layer composites?