Thread: the Flying Carpet

the Flying Carpet

I just started my new WIP called "the Flying Carpet"... The initial sketch is made with a 2B graphite pencil on paper, that I scanned and opened in Affinity Photo for some corrections. I made the scan sketch blue in order to separate it from the clean up penciling that I am doing in ArtRage. I am using my own Custom Brush pencil...

Name:  snip_20170308205559.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  122.1 KB

Pencil ready

I used the Custom Brush Pencil for the lines and the Airbrush for the shading. Size of the sketch is A3 ( 300 x 420 mm ) at 300 dpi for good printout. Next step is adding a flat colour for each separate part of the picture.

Name:  flygande mattan pencil.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  60.3 KB
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 03-10-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Bkg add

Background with some clouds. He is flying high... To add more depth / height I will later add some small houses and trees below the clouds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flygandemat_bkg.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	92437
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 03-11-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Final work done.

I did not add more details below the characters. I think it works OK without it. The carpet was done by using an image I searched and found on the Internet. I used the a transform tool in Affinity Photo to make it fit the shape of the wavy carpet on my sketch. The filter effect I used is "Sahara" in Windows Photo. I liked it for the soft, warm and sunny feeling.

Name:  flygandemattanAR.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  85.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    ... The carpet was done by using an image I searched and found on the Internet. I used the a transform tool in Affinity Photo to make it fit the shape of the wavy carpet on my sketch.
    The Carpet looks phenomenal, but there is one thing I do not understand: is it the original carpet just resized to the shape of your first carpet-draw?...

I like the end result. I can feel him flying
    kaiko

Carpet warped

The picture of the carpet was downsized, rotated and warp distorted to fit inside the sketch. Affinity has some advanced distortion tools for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    The picture of the carpet was downsized, rotated and warp distorted to fit inside the sketch. Affinity has some advanced distortion tools for this.
    Oh, I can see now. Nevertheless, it was done wonderfully!
    kaiko