Thread: Any plans to add support for higher resolution paintings on android?

Any plans to add support for higher resolution paintings on android?

I need to draw high resolution images for my 4k project here, the 2048*2048 limit isn't getting the job done. Drawing with a mouse on my desktop version of Artrage is too hard. Actually just double (technically quadruple) the size will suffice for now.

4k is the future, there's no reason to be drawing at any lower resolution than that, processing power and storage are total non-factors these days, drawing at a 1080p resolution is stunting your work for no reason.

I get Android has limitations, but still if one texture can't be any larger than 2048p because of android hardware then 4 2048p textures will do the trick.

Also, what's the largest size Artrage 5 supports? Before I was working in 4 with 10000*10000 paintings. It worked, but it was so unstable it wasn't worth it.

I guess for my purposes I can just record the painting and move the recording to my desktop version, but I'd also say this is probably something worth investing in at some point.
    Last edited by jamieyello; 03-16-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Unfortunately, it's a device memory issue more than an app limitation. Androids devices have very variable hardware and many already struggle with any canvas over 1000 pixels and increasing the canvas size past 2000 would make painting in ArtRage very slow and unstable (running out of memory on a mobile device usually leads to the app getting shut down suddenly by the operating system with no chance to save). The tools would then become relatively tiny as well, and scaling them up with multiply the memory issues enormously. We certainly couldn't increase the size enough to make much difference for people who actually need very large resolutions.

However, the desktop should easily be able to handle large script playbacks and that's what we generally recommend.

ArtRage 5 is much faster and more stable than ArtRage 4 and anything up to 20,000 pixels across should be perfectly doable (larger than that will depend on your computer and your methods). ArtRage 4 should have been able to handle 10,000 square pretty easily after the 4.5 update (with 64 bit support), but would definitely have struggled a bit before that. There's no official upper cap for ArtRage on the desktop, it's more a matter of what your computer (mostly the RAM) can support.

Thanks for the reply, for now recordings will work. Good to hear Artrage 5 has better support for larger images, my desktop is pretty beastly, and whenever I decide to put the money down I'll make good use of it.

Definitely try the demo if you know exactly what you need: www.artrage.com/demos It will let you know how ArtRage will perform on your specific computer with your specific files and requirements

I'm sorry to bring this topic back, but there's still no plan to unlock higher resolutions on android? I work with illustration and recently start using a Samsung tab s3 in my workflow. Its becoming my main tool, but unfortunately I'm using other apps only for professional purposes because of artrage limit on resolution. This new generation of tablets is capable of dealing with higher resolutions, in fact, I'm working with 6000x4000 without lag with blender brushes in other apps. It would be amazing to use artrage this way.

Quote Originally Posted by EduardoClark View Post
    This new generation of tablets is capable of dealing with higher resolutions, in fact, I'm working with 6000x4000 without lag with blender brushes in other apps.
    Not with ArtRage they aren't. The hardware needs to be at desktop computer level to handle canvases that size, ArtRage uses a lot of memory. And if you work that large, you'll need much larger brushes, which will push up the memory requirements even further. Even on the iPad Pro ArtRage's maximum canvas size is only 4096x4096. ArtRage will almost always never be capable of the same canvas sizes, we wish that was not the case but we are constantly juggling performance against size already.

Using a Script to play back a larger version in ArtRage 5 is the only workaround we have for this at the moment.

I sent my camera size to 1920x1200 and I have no problem when I'm painting. It's a little slow when I'm saving the painting.

Recent login after a break of a few weeks saw me only able to set a max canvas size of 2048x1203. What happened to the 2048x2048????? Have I missed an upgrade?

ArtRage for Android still supports 2048 x 2048 as a maximum size. I've replied to your other thread with some more information here:

https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...ze-option-gone