Thread: Help for creating/adding to color sets

Help for creating/adding to color sets

Hi, I've just started using AR 5 and love all the features it offers for the price. I have installed KarenB's W&N watercolor set. Thank you very much Karen if you see this (the colors were posted some time ago).
    I use about dozen W&N colours in my real palette including 'Burnt Umber' which I notice is missing from the set.
    I would appreciate any help to create an accurate sample I could include in the palette. At moment I don't know how sets are created. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks

Adding new samples is easy. You need a picture to sample from, you sample it, and then you save it.

1. Open a nice clear photo of the colours you want in ArtRage. Can be anything - layer, reference image, color picker image - as long as you can pick a colour from it.
    2. Pick the colour you want from it (hold ALT and click to quickly select colours from paintings + references)
    3. Open 'Samples' and click 'Add Sample'. Your current colour will be added to the current samples.
    4. Resave your samples as a new set (Add to Collections) with the new colours included, or save your new colours as their own set (you can load multiple sets at ones, after all!).

Hi Hannah,
    Thanks for the response. I do know how to select samples to add to a palette, but what I dont know is method users are following to make copies of paint ranges for particular brands.
    Eg,are they just copying an image of color range from makers site into AR and sampling directly or obtaining values to enter as RGB, CMYK etc.
    One user posted a link to a site called art-paints which gives color ranges with specific values. However, I believe AR only allows RGB input in colorpicker and I found these color values did not match those of KarenB`s WN set. I tried taking samples from reference images made of samples from their color chart and obviously it depends on which part of sample used as color is graduated. I assume there is no way to actually get the color as it comes undiluted. Thanks

Yeah, it's going to vary. Clear reference images is usually the best method - the main problem is that traditional media colours aren't created to look like specific RGB colours, or even scan nicely, so sometimes batches vary or the hues look different in different photos. Find the best reference you can, and go from that.