Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First sketch,and first block in with ref picture

When you're doing caricatures, bear in mind that there are other elements to an image than a big head and details in the body. If, for example you are doing a guy who prides himself in the fitness and strength of his body's muscle bulk and definition, whether or not it shows to the casual eye, you may want to consider exaggerating the size of his brawn. Right now, with the scale of the head, his body looks a little physically weaker than you want to, which I doubt you're after as a look.

The other thing I can tell about this fellow from his photo is that he is somewhat flashy. That means you can also exaggerate those things like his jewelry, his chains, his sun glasses, and if he had a car, you would want to make that look as hot as possible.

I don't know if the girl is safe to remain in his life or not, but I kind of get that her beauty and sexiness is something he also "wears".

So I could see you doing a great caricature of his head, as you do so well, but make his body really huge in the shoulders, chest and biceps. You could have the girl clinging to him like in a Frazetta painting or one by Boris.

Looking at him, the contemporary celebrities who I immediately think of are Vladimir Putin and actor Vin Diesel. Very masculine. Fast, hot shots, and with all the alpha male trimmings.

So sometimes you may want to push things further. However, if you're afraid you might offend (which is always a risk), you can play it safe and merely exaggerate the things you are doing and avoid the psychological portrait.

Anyway, those are some of the things that you could push if you ever wanted to take it to the next level.

The recognition quality of the head is fantastic as ever. You are very good at that stuff.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    When you're doing caricatures, bear in mind that there are other elements to an image than a big head and details in the body. If, for example you are doing a guy who prides himself in the fitness and strength of his body's muscle bulk and definition, whether or not it shows to the casual eye, you may want to consider exaggerating the size of his brawn. Right now, with the scale of the head, his body looks a little physically weaker than you want to, which I doubt you're after as a look.

The other thing I can tell about this fellow from his photo is that he is somewhat flashy. That means you can also exaggerate those things like his jewelry, his chains, his sun glasses, and if he had a car, you would want to make that look as hot as possible.

I don't know if the girl is safe to remain in his life or not, but I kind of get that her beauty and sexiness is something he also "wears".

So I could see you doing a great caricature of his head, as you do so well, but make his body really huge in the shoulders, chest and biceps. You could have the girl clinging to him like in a Frazetta painting or one by Boris.

Looking at him, the contemporary celebrities who I immediately think of are Vladimir Putin and actor Vin Diesel. Very masculine. Fast, hot shots, and with all the alpha male trimmings.

So sometimes you may want to push things further. However, if you're afraid you might offend (which is always a risk), you can play it safe and merely exaggerate the things you are doing and avoid the psychological portrait.

Anyway, those are some of the things that you could push if you ever wanted to take it to the next level.

The recognition quality of the head is fantastic as ever. You are very good at that stuff.

I all ready notice that about the big head. I never just draw a big head. I received some more pictures of this guy,and I find out that we life in the same neighbourhood. So I can make a better caricature now.. I update along the way the piece is coming together. I'm far from done with this one. But I don't have much time. So I have to draw/paint this weekend. Thanks for the nice words.

I change a lot efter the first drawing. First block in...That's the beauty of digital painting. Making mistakes,and fixed it easily. Still some stuff to fix. I know. . I hope to be done efter this weekend. About 20 hours on this piece

Likeness and pose already look exceptionally good. Not unespectedly from You, but always stunning.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Likeness and pose already look exceptionally good. Not unespectedly from You, but always stunning.
    Thank you,Caesar! 😊 Soon I'm travelling to Rome. I hope the weather will be OK.. Looking so forward to this trip. We leaving the cold weather behind oss on Monday 😊

So far weather is very often fine, spring started also officially now, and we're further working to improve it for Your most pleasant stay!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    So far weather is very often fine, spring started also officially now, and we're further working to improve it for Your most pleasant stay!
    Thank you! 😊

Fantastic job, love the pencil sketch! Great color and detail. Keep it up!