ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Commissioned work

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    538

    Commissioned work

    In my work as illustrating I sometimes get some challenging tasks. This is one of them. I sent my sketch to the publishing house (making educational books) on my concept to get some feedback on the main ideas and some details. This is the resulting approved sketch that I will use as reference. I am used to have the sketch in blue under the line art. I work at double size in 300 dpi.

    Name:  sid94-Blue.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  265.1 KB
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    538

    A lot of layers

    In order to make it easy to later on make changes in my "a little" complex illustration, I keep everything on separate layers. Every item layer group, every lineart layer, every colour layer, on its own. That makes it easy to adjust and correct if I need to. I realise that there will be many layers in this picture, so I will make one separate picture file for each corner, one for the bank corner and so on. Each corner will contain about 15 - 20 layers. The middle with the round about will not be that complex, but still it will be a picture file of its own. The ArtRage files will be 5. The sum of all layers maybe 100! that is why I make separate files not to make it too big and hard to handle.

    The sixth image file will be the one with the arrows and text layers (done in Affinity Designer). Each separate "corner file" will then be imported into Affinity as a png and stacked with the arrows and texts on top. After that it will be sent to my editor...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snip_20170311094251.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	92439
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 03-12-2017 at 01:10 AM.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    538

    Affinity Designer

    I use Affinity Designer (...by Serif. I used Serif Draw+ before...) to compose the picture. Bitmaps from ArtRage and arrows and text from Designer. Whenever I like I can adjust every piece, even the bitmaps from ArtRage, inside Designer, since it also got advanced bitmap painting, not only advanced vector painting / drawing. Here is how it looks like (so far).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snip_20170312110251.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	92445
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    I use Affinity Designer (...by Serif. I used Serif Draw+ before...) to compose the picture. Bitmaps from ArtRage and arrows and text from Designer. Whenever I like I can adjust every piece, even the bitmaps from ArtRage, inside Designer, since it also got advanced bitmap painting, not only advanced vector painting / drawing. Here is how it looks like (so far).

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snip_20170312110251.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	92445
    Wow. Affinity designer looks really slick and professional from the website. What's your take on Affinity Designer? Pros, cons? Worth the money? (it's only around 60 dollars)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    538

    It is worth every penny.

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Wow. Affinity designer looks really slick and professional from the website. What's your take on Affinity Designer? Pros, cons? Worth the money? (it's only around 60 dollars)
    I have been using vector software a lot. Started out with Flash and next Serif Draw+ and then Illustrator. This is by far the one I like the best yet. At a very nice price! It has all the tools I need because it is also a solid bitmap painting program, just like ArtRage. This circle was done using vector drawing and the texture is done by using bitmap painting in Affinity Designer. Very cool! I really recommend this software.

    Name:  sphere.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  383.0 KB
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 03-14-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    538

    Final

    This was sent to my editor today and I is going to be published. Bitmaps painted in ArtRage 5 and the graphics design in Affinity Designer.

    Name:  sid.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  103.7 KB
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    ... It has all the tools I need because it is also a solid bitmap painting program, just like ArtRage...
    So Henry, why then do you keep using Artrage? I'm curious about your thoughts!
    kaiko

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    538

    I don't know

    Quote Originally Posted by kaiko View Post
    So Henry, why then do you keep using Artrage? I'm curious about your thoughts!
    I don't know... just a habit? Or is it because it is so simple to use..? I been using AR for many years, it is always there. It is limited compared to Affinity just the way AR is to Photoshop or Illustrator. ArtRage is just simple enough...

    Well, I don't know...
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    ...Or is it because it is so simple to use..?...
    I believe this is the right answer Henry.
    Yesterday I played a little bit with Affinity Designer and I found it to be too much complicated...

    Thank you for your thoughts
    kaiko

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •