Thread: Bob Ross "Liquid White" and Mountain Snow Effect with Painting Knife

Bob Ross "Liquid White" and Mountain Snow Effect with Painting Knife

I'm new to ArtRage.

Anyone familiar with Bob Ross and his 'Wet on Wet' Technique of Oil Painting?

This technique requires the painter to put a very thin coat of a special "Liquid White" (a.k.a "Magic White") paint BEFORE you start to really paint your picture.

This allows (and I am sorry if I am being condescending to any of you) for you to blend the oil paints together because the "Liquid White" stays wet... Thus the name 'Wet on Wet'. This technique allows you to paint glorious clouds and mountains and bodies of water by its magnificent blending capabilities.

I looked through this forum and I cannot find anyone that really found a way to create this effect. Now with ArtRage 5.0 being released recently, is there a way we can create this "Liquid White" (or a similar "Liquid Black") and digitally paint a Bob Ross Landscape the way he intended us to?

In addition , if you are familiar with Bob Ross, then you know that when he adds "Snow and Shadowing" on top of Mountains that he puts on a "thin roll of paint" on the edge of his Painting Knife. Any way we can reproduce this using ArtRage 5.0?

Here's a video of Bob Ross (and his son) answering questions from fans as he illustrates the answers by painting a picture. He explains the "Liquid (Magic) White" and the mountain features using the Painting Knife.

===============================
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQWfszfRlA
    ===============================

Any input from ArtRage Users and/or Administration will surely help out.

Yes-- I thoroughly read that thread. So confusing!!

I thought that after 10 years since that thread was posted with newer versions of ArtRage having been released and many new ArtRage users coming aboard that we can have a more straight forward way of creating this effect... Maybe a bullet "Step by Step".

Any other thoughts on how ArtRage 5.0 can create these techniques?

why don't you just dl the 2 files??? and use these?

Like many of us, I am new to ArtRage.

After I download them, what to do next? I am just confused after I import it, what is meant by "drill a hole in the dot". I simply just want a wet white canvas to paint over and blend with other oil paints. After 10 years, there's got to be an easier, more clear way to accomplish this with ArtRage.

Also, what about the issue on painting snow on the mountains using a Landscape Painting Knife? Can that be done with ArtRage and creating that speckled texture on the mountainside like Ross does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugstar2 View Post
    Like many of us, I am new to ArtRage.

After I download them, what to do next? I am just confused after I import it, what is meant by "drill a hole in the dot". I simply just want a wet white canvas to paint over and blend with other oil paints. After 10 years, there's got to be an easier, more clear way to accomplish this with ArtRage.

Also, what about the issue on painting snow on the mountains using a Landscape Painting Knife? Can that be done with ArtRage and creating that speckled texture on the mountainside like Ross does it?
    You can get that effect with the Paint Roller. No need to go through the trouble of exporting and all that. Just select a pure white color on the color picker, select the Paint Roller and set its options to use 0% Pressure, 0% Thinners, and 100% Loading. Make a single stroke with the tool on the canvas and then use the Transform tool to expand the white mark to encompass the canvas. You now have a Wet "Liquid White" canvas to paint on. If you need to see this done first hand, here's a video demonstration:

As for the mountains, you could use the Palette knife to both add color and blend color out with it's edge (using its "Flat" settings) and then blend out any harsh edges from that with the Pastel tool set to its "wax" setting. Its not a demonstration of it, but I use the technique in this video done in ArtRage 4 (mountains are added at around the 2:00 minute mark):

(I guess we can only embed a single video in our posts, so you'll need to visit YouTube to watch this one, if want to see it)
    -Video Link
    Last edited by Someonesane; 03-07-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hello "Someonesane".....

Eureka!!!

Just what I wanted... Thanks for the tips.

Hopefully you get commission from ArtRage