ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Suggestions about paint loading...

Suggestions about paint loading...

I understand wanting to simulate a brush running out of paint, it's a nice tool to have, however...

Please give me an "Always stay loaded" checkbox somewhere. I'm currently using the Paintbrush set at 2% wide with black as an ink/line-art tool for cartooning in ArtRage and it's awful to be drawing a line and have it drop out from under you, and worse, it was a conscious programmed decision to do so at that time. I just want to finish my line when I'm ready, not when the pre-programmed limit gets reached. 100% is not enough sometimes, especially at higher resolutions.

=)

But isn't REAL brushes run out of paint....?
    --LES

Quote Originally Posted by pentool
    But isn't REAL brushes run out of paint....?
    Yes, and note that I'm not suggesting we remove the current feature, just allow those of us the option to "not run out"... similar to how the marker tool performs.

If we have the capability to go beyond the limitations of real brushes and make our art better, shouldn't we? It's like saying we shouldn't drive automobiles because people are supposed to walk to get places. It is a convenience that makes our lives better and people still walk too. The best of both worlds.

Sure, I could do it in two or three strokes instead of one, but one stroke is a lot smoother and just looks better.

=)

One thing you could try is using the felt pen or airbrush instead of the oil brush as neither of those tools runs out of paint as you work. The airbrush at very small size, with autoflow turned off, can work quite well as an inking tool (or so I'm told!).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage
    One thing you could try is using the felt pen or airbrush instead of the oil brush as neither of those tools runs out of paint as you work. The airbrush at very small size, with autoflow turned off, can work quite well as an inking tool (or so I'm told!).
    That's an idea... I tried the Felt Pen tool, but got too frustrated that it needed 3 or 4 passes to get black. I'll try the Airbrush tool and see if it gets any closer to what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

EDIT:
    Eh, same problem... black ends up as grey... (See attached: The top one is the best, by far, at simulating a loaded sable brush with India Ink. At least how I use india Ink, not thinned like a wash.)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Increase the amount of thinners on the oil-brush, and it goes futher before starting to run out. It also will have less bump, so that would also make it better for inking.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"