Thread: Selected Color and Hue Selector to top of color dialog window?

Selected Color and Hue Selector to top of color dialog window?

Can the Selected Color and Hue Selector be moved to the top of the color dialog window? See image below. Most people are right handed (sorry lefties!) and your hand covers the selected color. Try it and you will see what I mean.

Or, are you using the OS color dialog window for each version of AR and I understand that cannot be changed?

Name:  Screenshot001.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  26.7 KB
    Robert Hopkins

Totally Agree!

Totally Agree! Especially when the Hue slider is up there... But don't you think the function of the "Hue color bar" is somehow overlapped with the "Hue slider"? They are essentially the same thing: one with color, one with number.

In https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...ter-and-others I suggested a possibility to preview color ON the slider bar like in Photoshop. Hannah please read

Years ago I also suggested to rotate the square color picker 90 degree to make highlight upward because I just think that way. When your light source is from left and the bright tone is on the right, it really bothers me... well never mind, that's not a big problem. But a fan shaped color picker is silly, just being stylish IMO. One can hardly match a color with its value in a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by gb_whisper View Post
    But a fan shaped color picker is silly, just being stylish IMO. One can hardly match a color with its value in a fan.
    Eh, personally I can't use a square colour picker, it just feels wrong and has too many directions to think about. I only use it when I don't actually care what colour I'm grabbing, or when I need a screenshot. I complained a lot when the default fan shape wasn't an option in docking mode and always use the Tint/tone one there now ;D

Color pickers are one of those things were people tend to have Very Specific Preferences that generally wildly conflict, so we've tried to offer a variety of options rather than designing the One True Color Picker.

I am very surprised moving the current color was never implemented. How can we see the current color if we have to lift up our right hand that is covering the current color?

If ArtRage created the Color Picker and is not using the standard Mac-OS Color Dialog then this should take just a few minutes to update.

Name:  Color Picker.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  63.1 KB
    Robert Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    I am very surprised moving the current color was never implemented. How can we see the current color if we have to lift up our right hand that is covering the current color?

If ArtRage created the Color Picker and is not using the standard Mac-OS Color Dialog then this should take just a few minutes to update.

Name:  Color Picker.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  63.1 KB
    Long time no see HwyStar! Miss your contributions and discussions here!

Hey DO!

Yes, it has been a long time. It's good to hear from you! Sorry for not participating anymore. Mostly due to that I am painting everything in RL watercolors. There are no hardware/software issues, the paint does what you tell it to do, and you never need to restart it!

Part of the reason I got away from using AR was the little "fiddley" kind of stuff that AR does not address. This topic is one of them. It is so obvious when you use the tool that it is a silly placement of the current color. If Hannah was still here raising this as an operational issue of the software that should be addressed, it may get looked at and done. But, sadly she is no longer here to be our advocate.

Another thing I detest is the Reference Image window. The edges bop around, the silly 360° rotation of the window is worthless (who needs to rotate the reference?). Don't get me started about how the preferences window does not hold it's X, Y, Width, Height. And, the current tab of the preference window is not remembered so that when you reopen the window it it auto-expands to your last selection. Why does the current keyboard shortcuts "not" show up in the menu system? How do we remember it if we can't see it?

Little things like this lack of "polish". And I reached my point. Is AR the best? You bet IMHO! Does it make sense to paint with real mediums? I think so. It is so much easier to paint in real Watercolors than use AR. So what there is no undo? You don't need to buy a $1,000 dollar Canon 17 x 24 (with expensive inks) printer and go down that rabbit hole to print AR output.

Sorry for ranting. I am not bashing AR, I am bashing the philosophy of why all art software seems to lack different important aspects. A professional artist needs to be on staff at all times to remind the programmers to K.I.S.S. and make this a painters tool. Not a copy of PS that has three-D layering of paint and is cryptic.

Nothing to see here, move along. Just some old-guy who didn't get enough fiber in his diet yesterday. I understand if you all love the software. I have too and some of my best artwork was made with AR. I just wish I was on staff to help them with how a GUI should be designed and implemented.

I hope you (DO) and everyone else here are doing well and painting up a storm!
    Robert Hopkins