Thread: Rotating the Canvas on the fly?

Rotating the Canvas on the fly?

How do you do it while drawing with a tablet? What's the quickest way? Is there a shortcut that I can set to quickly rotate the Canvas on the fly as I sketch without manually rotating it with a mouse via the pod? (I'm using AR5).

EDIT: I just figured it out. Shift + Control + Option (on Mac).

EDIT2: How can I change that default to something else? Or am I stuck with it?

I find the keyboard keys very confusing here on the Mac.

[Cmd + Drag] draws a straight line. I prefer it to be [Control+Drag]. The default setting for the [Control] can be replaced since the Spacebar is not that far from the thumb if the user want to move the canvas around. Cmd can be used to rotate the canvas, and Cmd+Shift to zoom in/out.
    Last edited by cb102; 02-18-2017 at 04:58 AM.

I'm not by my iMac:

ArtRage, preferences, keyboard shortcuts. From there find the rotate canvas keystrokes and modify to taste.
    Robert Hopkins

I scanned through one tab after another looking for it in the "Keyboard Shortcuts" dialog and I don't think ArtRage allow you to do that yet?
    Last edited by cb102; 02-18-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Sorry but I won't be by ArtRage for the next five days... It may not be in list of keyboard shortcut edits and is hard-coded.
    Robert Hopkins

Here are all of the keyboard shortcuts for 4.5: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/gett...oard-commands/. There is a tab for Windows and one for Mac.
    Rotate: Option + Right Click and drag

Or: Space bar + Option + Left Click and Drag

I am using one of these and so far I think I like it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Name:  Screenshot006.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  12.2 KB

Think it through for your on personnel usage. I tried a few different ones and I finally settled on this one. It takes time to set up and you really need to decide what keys you really use the most before you program it, which has it's own learning curve.
    Last edited by HwyStar; 02-18-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    Robert Hopkins

Looks like I'll have to wait for Karabiner to be updated for macOS. The best solution for Mac users is Karabiner when a software does not allow you to change keyboard shortcuts. I have been using Karabiner (free) but it broke when macOS came out. That little software allows you to completely change any key on your system to any other key. Very powerful app, but I don't know when it will be updated for macOS.

If ArtRage is the only software I use then it's not much of a problem since the human mind and hand can easily adapt to it, regardless of what shortcuts that comes with it. But when you use more than one software and every other softwares think similarly, but ArtRage does something very different, it can throw you off the loop.

If you're on Windows, check out AutoHotKey. Very powerful but requires a bit of learning which isn't that difficult if you follow their tutorials.
    Last edited by cb102; 02-18-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Quickly hide everything?

I have a question since I checked the link above and can't seem to find it. What's the quickest way to hide all the pods/interface? Sometimes I'm in the middle of drawing and I want everything (GUI/pods etc..) to be hidden. Is there a way to toggle this on and off?

I think the tab key and/or enter key will do the trick.
    Robert Hopkins

That only hides the small tab at the top of the window. Everything else remains intact. I wonder if I'm the only one that is experiencing this? By the way, I'm using Docking mode with pod popped out.