Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else Disappointed?

Thumbs up what i like about the new update

Not being a pro artist, I look at AR differently than most folks. The previous version had the Toolbox for which i had high hopes. It turned out more work than it was
    worth, and they left off the "undo and redo" buttons. (not a big deal for those who use a keyboard, but big deal for those who don't).

I love the new interface, i have all my useful stuff on the sides out of my way, AND the undo button is where it belongs. It only took me about 30 min. of playing around
    to learn how to use the new interface and tool customizer. (most software takes me days to get that far).

So good job AR !

Though I prefer the new interface, the upgrade for me was also a disappointment. I am using ArtRage mostly for sketching and art-line. The 4.5 pencil was not perfect, but good enough. The 5 pencil for me is too remote from a real pencil. On top of it they have changed the mouse zoom. So I am sure that ArtRage 5 is a step up for many tasks and users, for me it was a step down and I am back at 4.5.

Hello i-sh and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Sorry to hear you are not so happy with AR5.
    In AR5 the Pencil was given settings for adding in 'Noise' to the stroke but other than that is unchanged.
    The noise settings are most useful to those who prefer to draw on a perfectly smooth canvas but still want to see texture in the pencil stroke.
    With Noise at 0% the Pencil tool is working for me exactly the same in AR5 as it did in AR4.5.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 6.1.0 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.14.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M

Quote Originally Posted by i-sh
    On top of it they have changed the mouse zoom.
    I think you need to change the setting under ArtRage Preferences for Mouse control: scroll to zoom.
    Name:  Screenshot006.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  50.0 KB

So far I am really liking the V5 version! The desktop layout seems to work so much better for me than V4.5 did.

For me, the pencil works better than ever. The pastel brush is "really" great now! I am still holding out for a setting in the pastel brushes (wax/chalk) that gives us a square and rectangle head to paint with, like a real pastel square head or the side of a pastel.

V5 seems "snappier" to me too.

I have not messed with the custom brushes yet. To me; and the way I think, the custom brushes will be easier to work with than stickers/stencils. We have it all now!

I think V5 is a total winner. I am not disappointed at all!
    Last edited by HwyStar; 02-28-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    Robert Hopkins

5. I'm not disappointed; more instructional material is always good

Until recently, there wasn't a lot of instructional material. I was pleased to find a "How to paint a foot" tutorial.

I have a programming background, so I originally anticipated that my art would be mostly digital. I actually learned to draw by going to the NY Met Museum with Artrage 4.5 on an old Lenovo X61 tablet, where I spent hours over the course of several weeks drawing the statue, "Perseus Slays Medusa". Tourists were much amused. It was better than paper because of the absolutely clean erase.

At the same time, I was taking classes at NY's School of Visual Arts, where I learned traditional media. Having started with digital media, I went in a "backwards" direction, so that I now primarily work in oils. Part of this is because the people I connect with have not made the transition to the "non-material." Everything art will dematerialize eventually, but the NY world is still one of physical art. A painted canvas is ready to hang. It's actually cheaper, in the larger sizes, than a "giclee", which has to be mounted.

I have all the latest digital programs, of which Artrage is my favorite. But it is actually harder for me, (because I haven't acquired the specific skill set) to create digitally -- and this applies to any program, of which Artrage is actually the easiest to use. Physical brushes and paint are just more intuitive.

I see marvelous results coming out of Artrage, which tend towards realism and hyper-realism. I would like to emulate real painting styles. One of my learning experiments at the Met was to try to copy the painting style of Paul Gauguin's "Tahitian Women Bathing." It was painted on burlap, with many layers of interacting paint, scratch marks, charcoal, who-knows-what. Physically, I can grock it. I have no idea how to do it in Artrage, because the digital path is more based on knowledge-of-procedure than intuition.

Comparing digital with traditional media, both have elements of procedure and intuition. But digital media require more of the former relative to the latter. This may be why digital media tend towards the hyper-realistic that is so desired for digital use, but less so by users who would like to emulate traditional media in the digital domain.

With all these considerations, I have only one specific suggestion: As much as possible, Artrage should encourage tutorials that offer free-access.. When instruction is behind a paywall, it encounters skepticism, slowing growth of the user base.

Please make an Artrage 5 manual pdf, not just the quick-start.
    Last edited by notaverygoodartist; 03-02-2017 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by notaverygoodartist View Post
    Until recently, there wasn't a lot of instructional material. I was pleased to find a "How to paint a foot" tutorial.

With all these considerations, I have only one specific suggestion: As much as possible, Artrage should encourage tutorials that offer free-access.. When instruction is behind a paywall, it encounters skepticism, slowing growth of the user base.

Please make an Artrage 5 manual pdf, not just the quick-start.
    I'm glad you enjoyed that tutorial; it's always a bit tricky figuring out what's worth creating a tutorial for! And there will be more. There are also some very good ones showing up on YouTube, e.g. these ones by Danial Ibanez and Phil Galloway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DS04IqMJCY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDCM_w-5iVQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5pdko2OGSk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL-_V9CsngE

We don't currently have a full PDF manual because we found most people don't read the PDF but come to the website instead, and because we've been creating some more 'interactive' guides with videos, interlinks, and resources that update over time. They can also all be printed/downloaded easily. If you haven't found them yet, go here for detailed instructions for the various new features:
    https://www.artrage.com/manuals/tags/artrage-5/

For example, the pencil tool:
    https://www.artrage.com/manuals/gett...tool-settings/

And one of the videos for it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkMppvVHNts

Disapointed? Not at all... For the price of taking my family to a fast food restaurant for supper, ArtRage is one of the best bargains in the digital arts world... Presently devoting more of my spare time with photography and 3d modeling, but playing around with AR 5.0 one evening I was very impressed by the great tool this small team of developers provide us with...

guys, please consider bringing back a way to enlarge certain palettes - I understand the technical reasoning behind the new UI and stuff,
    but a combination of using 27" screen and only having tiny default tone picker are a deal breaker for me to upgrade for now.
    I'm too used to having it scaled up at 150% in ver 4.5 (same with precise color picker I usually have on-screen for making those extra accurate color choices),
    and the discomfort of only having one option right now is disappointing.

even the temporal pod offers a slightly larger wheel, sad it's not possible to pin it on screen.

there's lots of good stuff in this version, no denying that, and performance gains are very obvious and impressive, but the UI/workflow things like that are outweighing the benefits on an upgrade for me right now.

Thank you markw and HwyStar for you replies. Thanks to Hannah at technical support, I learned about an (non-intuitive) option at the Stylus Properties that can turn off the “trail” of the pencil.
    So I withdraw my initial disappointment.

pdf manual

"We don't currently have a full PDF manual because we found most people don't read the PDF but come to the website instead,"
    Everything a little more complicated than clicking on a tool and drawing/ painting, I learned from the manual (versions 2 and 4.5). So yes, I'd like a 5 manual, too 😊.