Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Anyone else Disappointed?

has the software reached it's limit?

I doubt the software has reached it's limits, yet my personal computer hardware and lack of internet connection has lead me to reach my limits with newer versions. I really despise and have severe negative criticism about how software of the past few years has to be tied into internet use for upgrades. From my beginning years in college back in the 1980's and 1990's until the 2010's decade computers were primarily used to run software, and the user generally had total control of everything they did on a computer. That is the way I like using computers, for software not internet time consuming problems and temptations. Far better and safer considering the nightmare of malicious hacking and malware today. I want to use computers for productivity and the use of software not playing cat and mouse with the bad guys who are much smarter than me with gaining access to your computer and infecting it with destructive code. Again having the internet is far more expensive since you always have to spend more money upgrading hardware and software, and unfortunately I am poor. Perhaps if I had successfully made a good living selling my artwork on line I would feel much different and then it would be worth all the troubles and expense in having the latest and greatest.

I personally like Art Rage 4.0 version better than 4.5 and 5. I have this old plug in program called the KPT collection that works very well with that version on an older Pentium 4 with Windows XP. The plug in does not work on Art Rage 4.5 or 5. I really like this plug-in and the way it works with graphic arts programs. I have also tried this plug in offered by Google called the Nik Collection yet this does not work on any Art Rage programs yet works well on older programs like "U-Lead Photo Impact 5" and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9" and Corel Paint Shop Pro X. Seems every program has pros and cons depending upon your personal use. I am hoping that Art Rage 5 will work on my AV Linux operating system, and Debian 8.3, using the WINE Application. Have not tried this latest version yet 4 and 4.5 worked on AV Linux fairly well.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

I love that!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lo Piano View Post
    I doubt the software has reached it's limits, yet my personal computer hardware and lack of internet connection has lead me to reach my limits with newer versions. I really despise and have severe negative criticism about how software of the past few years has to be tied into internet use for upgrades. From my beginning years in college back in the 1980's and 1990's until the 2010's decade computers were primarily used to run software, and the user generally had total control of everything they did on a computer. That is the way I like using computers, for software not internet time consuming problems and temptations. Far better and safer considering the nightmare of malicious hacking and malware today. I want to use computers for productivity and the use of software not playing cat and mouse with the bad guys who are much smarter than me with gaining access to your computer and infecting it with destructive code. Again having the internet is far more expensive since you always have to spend more money upgrading hardware and software, and unfortunately I am poor. Perhaps if I had successfully made a good living selling my artwork on line I would feel much different and then it would be worth all the troubles and expense in having the latest and greatest.

I personally like Art Rage 4.0 version better than 4.5 and 5. I have this old plug in program called the KPT collection that works very well with that version on an older Pentium 4 with Windows XP. The plug in does not work on Art Rage 4.5 or 5. I really like this plug-in and the way it works with graphic arts programs. I have also tried this plug in offered by Google called the Nik Collection yet this does not work on any Art Rage programs yet works well on older programs like "U-Lead Photo Impact 5" and Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9" and Corel Paint Shop Pro X. Seems every program has pros and cons depending upon your personal use. I am hoping that Art Rage 5 will work on my AV Linux operating system, and Debian 8.3, using the WINE Application. Have not tried this latest version yet 4 and 4.5 worked on AV Linux fairly well.
    I agree about being tied to the internet. It feels invasive like other people have to be giving me permission to paint or write or whatever. Feels like they can dip into my computer at will. For that matter, the Cloud is another thing I don't trust. But I'm old school.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Just wanted to pop in and add my 2 cents. I am anything but disappointed. Artrage 5 is awesome! Kudos to the Artrage team!

I updated to AR5 before starting a project (always a good idea, right? ) and thought it should be fine.
    Instead I spent a whole day somewhat frustrated.

1) Changes to the Preset menu added a column for Groups and this space is completely wasted since I don't use Groups, it threw off the way I had my layout arranged and now I can see less of the painting. I started using the docked mode, which is fine except for the tool icons. (they're monochromatic and quite similar, I keep spending quite a bit of time looking for the right tool)

2) I specifically updated for the Perspective tool, because I was going to rely on it in this new project. It's quite disappointing, especially after having worked with Manga Studio's excellent analogue.
    - why can't I create a 3 point perspective grid? (I suspect "Because it's too difficult, so we didn't bother.")
    - why can't I tilt the horizon line?! (I'm an illustrator and that was one of the first things I wanted to do. Again, very useful and expected out of a perspective tool, but can't be done in AR.)
    The tool in Manga Studio can do both these things easily.

3) The eyedropper sampler tool now works differently for some reason - there's a setting for area of sampling. That's fine, but why is it set to a rather large area by default?!
    I painted for a while and the painting got muddier and muddier and I wondered why the color I seemingly picked from the canvas wasn't the colour I painted later. Well, of course, it's the eyedropper tool doing an average from the area around my sample. (this pretty much ends up working like a Gauss filter, blurring and muddying values)
    Once I set it to size 1, it worked as before.

4) One of the most amazing things I've always loved about ArtRage was the quick canvas flip and how I could interact with the canvas in that mode. After painting in 5 for a while, I noticed I couldn't paint while flipped. And I couldn't move the canvas around on screen either. (which helps if you're flipping while zoomed in and when you want to see the part of the painting you were looking at before the flip.)
    I searched the forums and there it was - people wondering why it was removed. The reason was even more disappointing - it wasn't a feature, it was a bug. Seriously?! THIS WAS GREAT!
    And it'd be too much work to have it working properly, so you remove it entirely?!
    That's just sad.

It's possible I'll find something useful in AR5 in the future, but my first few weeks trying to work with it were just spent in frustration, running into one problem after another.
    Last edited by JanPospisil; 04-05-2018 at 02:11 AM.

Ouch, sounds like we managed to change all the things you rely on the most! I hope it is mostly just adjustment frustration and you'll find that you get used to the new interface and options.

On these two points:

Quote Originally Posted by JanPospisil View Post
    2) I specifically updated for the Perspective tool, because I was going to rely on it in this new project. It's quite disappointing, especially after having worked with Manga Studio's excellent analogue.
    - why can't I create a 3 point perspective grid? (I suspect "Because it's too difficult, so we didn't bother.")
    - why can't I tilt the horizon line?! (I'm an illustrator and that was one of the first things I wanted to do. Again, very useful and expected out of a perspective tool, but can't be done in AR.)
    The tool in Manga Studio can do both these things easily.

4) One of the most amazing things I've always loved about ArtRage was the quick canvas flip and how I could interact with the canvas in that mode. After painting in 5 for a while, I noticed I couldn't paint while flipped. And I couldn't move the canvas around on screen either. (which helps if you're flipping while zoomed in and when you want to see the part of the painting you were looking at before the flip.)
    I searched the forums and there it was - people wondering why it was removed. The reason was even more disappointing - it wasn't a feature, it was a bug. Seriously?! THIS WAS GREAT!
    And it'd be too much work to have it working properly, so you remove it entirely?!
    That's just sad.
    The Perspective set is a very new thing, so we didn't want to overcomplicate it right out the gate (we had a lot of weird bugs in beta with that). It also works differently to Manga Studio, for example, as it was developed from scratch rather than just copying an existing feature so there will be some differences no matter what. Things like 3 point perspective and many other possible design options are in our suggestions list for consideration, we have not ruled them out for the future but are taking things one step at a time for now.

The quick flip painting bug is an issue because interacting with the canvas while also flipping the view without properly transforming + flipping the paint causes bad things to happen with various background process, as it is supposed to be an inert preview. The ability to interact snuck in without us noticing at some point, and was probably behind a few issues in older updates. We might be able to add a replacement/workaround feature in future, but it would probably just be a 'Edit > Flip' option (like the Edit > rotate options that were added in 5) and would act like transform, so would not be as quick. We will have to workshop on that one

If there is anything else you are stuck on, you can always ask for help here or send us a support request.

(Note: If anyone else out there is considering upgrading and isn't sure about it, please try the demo first: www.artrage.com/demos )

Quote Originally Posted by JanPospisil View Post
    It's possible I'll find something useful in AR5 in the future, but my first few weeks trying to work with it were just spent in frustration, running into one problem after another.
    I'm sorry that this has been your experience so far.

there're some things about this release that left me disappointed, but I can say that it's more reliable (I had maybe two crashes over several years spent with v. 4.5, none with v. 5 so far), brush performance is improved and paint mixing feels also tightened up, and you can work with several documents at once now.

the custom brush tool is also very nice (and it also has slightly more realistic color blending model compared to the oil-based brushes), but I wish it could pick up underlying colors akin to painter/paintstorm/photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    We might be able to add a replacement/workaround feature in future, but it would probably just be a 'Edit > Flip' option (like the Edit > rotate options that were added in 5) and would act like transform, so would not be as quick.
    I hope this gets added too... paintstorm, clip studio paint and fire alpaca have a quick flip feature that doesn't rely on canvas/layers transformation, and allows for painting on the mirrored view, it's very fast and a great timesaver.
    Last edited by nekomata; 04-05-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Artrage 4.5 vs ...

Hi,

I have seen myself using Artrage less and less.

On Ipad, Procreate seems to be my goto (no contest).

Clipstudio my all-around favorite (that I won't use on Ipad as I do not like subscriptions).

On Windows (that's where I got frustrated), which is my main platform, I have seen the many threads on palm rejection and why it _cannot_ _be_ _done_ (!)

So I use Clip Studio, Rebelle 3, and Krita which seem to have found a way to do it.

Yet I see myself going back to artrage.com hoping to read "we found a way": I do find that Artrage has many qualities.

To be continued I hope.

Regards,

Philippe
    Last edited by philippecmartin; 05-07-2018 at 01:00 PM.

I just want to clarify the Windows input comments that have been made in other threads:

Palm Rejection should be working currently (just checked on a Surface Pro) as that's handled directly by Windows not the app itself - I can rest my palm on the device and paint with the stylus without causing additional marks. Previous comments that I can remember have related to Touch Rejection, that is to say preventing strokes being made with a finger.

It's absolutely not impossible to do this, and if that impression was given before that wasn't intended. The problem is that our stylus support has developed over a really long period of time, we were a very early adopter of the Windows standard for stylus input when most apps were just using the Wacom Wintab model, and Windows has completely changed its stylus system three or four times in that period. This means that apps that introduced Windows native support later can update to support new items like Touch Rejection pretty easily, but for us it means an entire rewrite of the stylus input model.

This doesn't mean we're ignoring it - We're just testing some updates that should resolve other stylus issues on the Surface Pro and we're actively looking at methods for implementing Touch Rejection while we do this. It just means that it's way more work for us to implement than it might otherwise seem. Regardless of whether our current tests provide a solution, we're going to be working on this in an update as we revise the stylus input model we're using to replace the older system with the current one.

If Palm Rejection isn't working, drop an email to [email protected] and let us know what type of device you're using and we can look in to that as well.

Just a quick note - I've closed this thread because it was starting to attract technical queries and those should really be going to the Tech Support forum so that they are easily found in the future. Feel free to post tech queries there or post feature suggestions in the appropriate forum.

As a side note - ArtRage 5.0.7 is currently in testing and we've found a way to do Touch Rejection on the Surface (and some, but not all other RTS devices)... More soon!