Thread: Selections and Deformations

Selections and Deformations

With AR5 I lost some functionality with regard to selection/deforming a portion of a layer. There is no longer any way to select part of my sketch to move/deform it to make corrections. Now I must select, cut, paste (which creates a new layer with the selection in it) move/deform, merge. If I don't discover my need to move/deform something before I have added a color layer beneath the drawing, then I have to do all that twice. AND I had to spend at least an hour just to figure out how to do all that because I could find no information on how to select and deform a portion of a layer.

It would seem the only way to avoid this problem now is to draw each element of the portrait (each eye, the nose, mouth, jawline, each ear, hair, neck, shoulders) on separate layers to begin with. That's up to 10 layers just to make a base sketch O.o

Instead of just changing deformation to function only for whole layers, it should have been added to the selection tool as well so that anything I select could be moved/deformed.

If I've missed something about how to select/deform/move could someone please inform me?

Are you just not able to find the Transform tool? It's now in the upper menu bar (we had to add the custom brush to the tool picker).

Select an area, pick Transform, and you should be able to distort your paint freely. Or press Shift + T.

No, I can find the transform tool just fine, but it would not react to a selection, only a whole layer. My sketch was on a single layer, I could transform the entire layer, but I could not simply select the eye, for example, and transform or move it while it was still on that layer.

So I tried again today, and was able to select a part of a layer, click the transform tool and get the proper interface. I guess your first response to a question like mine should have been "did you try restarting your computer?" because that's the only difference between my last try and this one :sigh: I'm not a noob, honestly, it was just my first time trying out this feature in AR5 and since I could not find any information specifically about transforming a selection (only a "layer" or "object on a layer") I assumed it was WAI.

Haha, I'm glad you figured it out. I'm still not quite sure why it wouldn't have worked first time ^_^