Thread: Artrage 5: where are Workbench mode bootom edge, right edge etc options??

Question Artrage 5: where are Workbench mode bootom edge, right edge etc options??

Hello interface "docking mode" is the old "workbench mode"? If yes where is the option to put it on the bottom screen?

An answer of this kind: "In Artrage 5 you cannot do it anymore sorry..." won't be accepted
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/andreamgart

That's what art's about, isn't it -- at some point it's about the relationship between the art and the viewer, sort of like speed dating. (D Akey)

Docking mode is sort of a replacement for Workbench mode but it's a slightly different model. The customisation of edge positioning was shifted to panels, so you can tear off and dock panels on the left and right only (their tall aspect means they're not suited for docking on the bottom edge). The menu bar itself is a standard bar so is currently locked to the top edge.

Looking at it, that reply sort of looks like a careful rephrasing of your original assumption, so I guess all I can do is apologise! Hopefully the ability to dock panels to persist them helps offset the lack of bottom edge bar docking.

Thank you Matt,

this is very unfortunate, Artrage was different from the competitors also for the uncluttered workbench mode option, it was only you and the painting (real fullscreen), please do consider putting it back if possible. I will use the classic mode since the docking mode is useless for me but I will really miss the old interface...

Anyways thank you all the same and keep up the good work
    Last edited by AndreaMG; 02-08-2017 at 09:45 AM.

That's what art's about, isn't it -- at some point it's about the relationship between the art and the viewer, sort of like speed dating. (D Akey)

Docking mode works in almost the same way as the Workbench - The menu bar at the top lets you pop open panels and use them, and they are dismissed when you click off them. The only thing is doesn't have is the Pinboard area. You can hide the menu bar with Tab for full screen painting as well. While it doesn't let you change sides it basically works exactly as the workbench used to, but takes up less space.

Is there anything other than the ability to change docked edge that you are missing from the new mode?

Ah thanks at least the tab button makes the upper bar go away. You have to know that I work with the monitor (actually they are 2) in portrait mode and I use an intuos pro large and it's really fatiguing and time consuming to reach the top of the screen all the time while on the contrary the bottom part of the screen is the arm rest position so for me that is the natural area where to put the icons and the pop open panels. What I really miss is the area in the bottom part with the automatic closing panels... I'm not a programmer or anything but since the bar can be hidden with the tab button it doesn't seem to be the usual windows bar so maybe can be also programmed to be on the bottom part of the screen?

There's certainly a chance that we could add bottom alignment to the menu bar in the future.

I haven't downloaded AR5 yet so I'm not 100% sure what I'm talking about but consider left, center and right alignment of the menu bar. Center alignment was not in the old workbench mode I believe. I use a 27QHD and reaching to the top right/left corner is too far for me.

No reply required Matt and Thanks AR team for the latest update! I'm excited to use it when I get home.
    Robert Hopkins

I'm not too happy about Workbench mode having been removed either. I work on a small laptop screen, and it was very handy to be able to quickly switch to a smaller UI with the exact tools I had selected for the current job. The problem for me with docked mode is that the panels are too wide and that there is no keyboard shortcut to change to docked mode (at least I haven't been able to find it). Also, using tab from classic mode doesn't work for me, since it won't close the toolbox.

PS. I love all the other features in version 5 :-)

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to toggling the UI mode if you want. Look for Toggle Interface Mode under 'Panel Commands' in the keyboard shortcuts panel and you can assign one there.