Thread: Artrage 5 Presets & a few other initial questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Artrage 5 Presets & a few other initial questions

Hi Artrage team,

I just downloaded Artrage 5 on Mac OS Sierra (10.12.3). I upgraded from Artrage 4.

First question: is there a full user manual available for Artrage 5, like there was for Studio Pro? I loved that. Anyway, I couldn't find the answer to this question in the Quick Start guide...

The install didn't automatically copy my presets over and I got stuck at one of the instructions. I think I may have stuffed it up completely and I can't tell for sure.

Is this what the oils presets is meant to look like? (Empty?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil brushes.png 
Views:	236 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	92143

The other tools show my Artrage 4 presets but nothing else.

If not, you can probably guess exactly how I stuffed it up. In attempting to do a merge of the folders the Mac might have done a replace. It would appear I've successfully copied my old presets into Artrage 5 and simultaneously wiped the Artrage 5 default ones... unless there was never anything in this panel in the first place.

Is that right? If so, how might I fix it?

Your patience is appreciated.
    Cheers

Side issue: When I tried to take a partial screen shot of the oils brush panel on this Mac the screenshot cursor disappeared while I did it. I had to take a screenshot 'in the dark'. A minor bug?

Side side issue: Are we to expect a lot of the stickers not to work -- ones which previously worked in Artrage 4? I see an earlier user has already asked this question below and you have answered that nothing has changed in that regard. However, a large number of my Artrage 4/Studio Pro brushes don't appear to work, unless I am doing something else wrong.

That group is actually empty, it's the default place your new brushes will go - if you click one of the other groups down the side, you should find preset brushes. If you don't, then there is a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Happy Larry View Post
    First question: is there a full user manual available for Artrage 5, like there was for Studio Pro? I loved that. Anyway, I couldn't find the answer to this question in the Quick Start guide...
    Working on it! It won't be included in the program because the PDF tends to get so big, but you can still find the full AR4 manual online and we're adding sections for all the new AR5 features:
    https://www.artrage.com/manuals/tags/artrage-5/

Side issue: When I tried to take a partial screen shot of the oils brush panel on this Mac the screenshot cursor disappeared while I did it. I had to take a screenshot 'in the dark'. A minor bug?
    That may indeed be a bug.

Side side issue: Are we to expect a lot of the stickers not to work -- ones which previously worked in Artrage 4? I see an earlier user has already asked this question below and you have answered that nothing has changed in that regard. However, a large number of my Artrage 4/Studio Pro brushes don't appear to work, unless I am doing something else wrong.
    Stickers should be working. However, the custom resources have been moved and there have been issues with importing them across on Mac OSX for some users. Are the problem brushes defaults, or custom ones? What are they doing?

The screenshot you have there is showing the presets picker for the Custom Brush, and it looks like that tool has survived the replace so all of the default ArtRage 5 custom brush presets have been installed (because your old AR4 folder didn't contain a Custom Brush this folder may have survived). As Hannah said, the default installer doesn't install any to the Custom Brush folder itself, which is why that category is empty.

However - If you only see your old custom AR4 presets when you select other tools and not the default installed ones there's a way to make ArtRage 5 reinstall all of the default content. Try this:

1. Open ArtRage.
    2. From the Tools Menu look in the Browse Content Folders menu and select 'Root Contents Folder'.
    3. The 'Contents' folder in to which you copied your AR4 content appears. In there is a file called 'resources_installed.prs'. Delete that file.
    4. Restart ArtRage.

That file is used to let ArtRage know that default content has been installed. If it's not present, the app will reinstall its default content when it starts up. That should restore all your default content items.

Hi Hannah and Matt,

Thanks heaps -- deleting that file fixed the whole problem.

As for the imported stickers that no longer work, I noticed yesterday playing around that some of them do nothing at all -- as in, I've clicked on the sticker and I'm brushing the canvas and nothing is appearing on the canvas. Maybe it was to do with the other issues I was having? No idea. I'll wait and see if anyone else tells you you have the same issue. The vast majority of my stickers are working fine. I can't remember now where those particular stickers came from as I forget which ones were Artrage 4 stickers and which ones I've got from the forums and elsewhere. I'm guessing they come from elsewhere as I'm sure you would've checked the Artrage ones.

I'm very glad to hear a PDF is in the works. I'm not sure how many users still read instruction manuals when they get some new software but I'm one of them!

Definitely drop us an email or post here with a couple of examples if stuff continues to not work. Whether we missed something, or whether it's a peculiar quirk of your set up, we still need to look into it ;D

The manual won't be a PDF, but you can print from the individual pages. Take a look here: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/tags/artrage-5/

Will do, thanks.

Thanks for the link. It doesn't have to be a PDF.

I'm glad I realised there was stuff missing because the new brushes are awesome. It's tempting to just play with them all day in a state of zen.

Now to do some actual illustration...

Question Content directory in Artrage Program directory

Hi,

Is there a way to put all the Content directory in Artrage program directory (for example : F:\ArtRage 5\Resources\Content\...) and NOT in "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage" ?
    I would like to copy all the files on my USB Flash Drive and make it portable.
    In this way, I have only to enter my serial number and use AR on an other PC.
    It worked with ArtRage 4.
    I tried to do it with AR5 but if I delete "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage\Content", the program doesn't find the Content directory.
    Sorry, my English is not very good. I hope someone will understand what I want to do
    Thanks for your help.
    flebus

My works at pot-a-crayons.over-blog.com and flebus.artblog.fr (but this one is out)