ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Apply tint only to the coloured parts of the layer below

Apply tint only to the coloured parts of the layer below

So I am experimenting a bit with what is possible in artrage an what is not and I was wondering if it's possible to apply tint ( or any other effect ) only to the coloured part of the layer below (aka everything that is not transparent).

You can do it easily with the "Select Layer Contents" command from the Edit Menu. This will constrain all the layers to the area that is occupied by the objects in the layer you select. This is one of my favorite commands. It's great for coloring and shading an existing painted area. When you are done with needing the selected area, you can "Deselect all" from the Edit Menu. You can also invert the selection if you want to work on the area around your object.

You could also use the "Magic Wand" from the Selection Tool to pick individual colors instead everything on a layer.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:
    Aunt Betsy's Celebration Art

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt_Betsy View Post
    You can do it easily with the "Select Layer Contents" command from the Edit Menu. This will constrain all the layers to the area that is occupied by the objects in the layer you select. This is one of my favorite commands. It's great for coloring and shading an existing painted area. When you are done with needing the selected area, you can "Deselect all" from the Edit Menu. You can also invert the selection if you want to work on the area around your object.

You could also use the "Magic Wand" from the Selection Tool to pick individual colors instead everything on a layer.
    Hmm there doesn't seem to be such a command in the Edit Menu, only "Transform layer contents", which seems to be a completely different thing. It may be because I only have the Lite version for now. The magic wand on the other hand only seems to work if the area you want to tint is almost perfectly monotone. Anyways I was considering buying the full version for a while now so I will probably get it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Optymistyk View Post
    Hmm there doesn't seem to be such a command in the Edit Menu, only "Transform layer contents", which seems to be a completely different thing. It may be because I only have the Lite version for now. The magic wand on the other hand only seems to work if the area you want to tint is almost perfectly monotone. Anyways I was considering buying the full version for a while now so I will probably get it soon.
    I just checked on what is available in the lite version and it looks like your options a very limited compared with a full version when it comes to selecting what is there. Sorry. If I had the lite version I could probably figure something out, but it would probably be complicated and involve other software. Now is a great time to upgrade with 5 just about ready to be released.
    Last edited by Aunt_Betsy; 02-07-2017 at 08:45 AM.
    Aunt Betsy

My Zazzle store:
    Aunt Betsy's Celebration Art

Okay... This is going to be a bite troublesome, considering your limited options. However, where there's a will, there's a way...

AR Lite doesn't have the Lock Transparency, Select layer contents or Create Stencil from Layer options. However, you can import an image to use as a stencil. This, if anything, will likely be your best bet. Here's what you'll want to do...

1. Hide the blend mode layer you're going to apply, for now.
    2. Toggle AR's light rendering to off, for now.
    3. If you're canvas color isn't completely white, create a new layer at the bottom of the stack and fill it with pure white.
    4. Export the painting as a high quality jpeg
    5. You can now remove the white layer (if added), turn the canvas lighting back on and show your hidden blend mode layer again.
    6. Import the exported image save as a new stencil and reset it's scale.
    7. Align it over your painting and invert it.
    8. Use the eraser to remove unwanted color coverage from the blend mode layer.

In the future, it might be worth doing the exporting of the painting part first, so that you can use the import stencil as a mask while painting on the blend mode area.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.