ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking the rules

Breaking the rules

I was in the ArtRage 5 competition. I did not win a free AR 5 but I enjoyed the doing of my paintings, and that is enough for me. I was also mentioned among top 10... nice! I will buy AR 5 as soon as it is for sale online. I have been using AR since 2004 and will continue doing so.

Anyway, the competition gave me a little bad taste. Here is the reason why. One winner is breaking one of the rules. The winner is the top image, the original on the bottom. I react to this. It is not fair to Svetlana, to the competitors, to ArtRage and to Ambient design. Not fair to the international rules of artists right (immaterial rights) or copy rights. What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR competition.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	281.2 KB 
ID:	92050
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    I was in the ArtRage 5 competition. I did not win a free AR 5 but I enjoyed the doing of my paintings, and that is enough for me. I was also mentioned among top 10... nice! I will buy AR 5 as soon as it is for sale online. I have been using AR since 2004 and will continue doing so.

Anyway, the competition gave me a little bad taste. Here is the reason why. One winner is breaking one of the rules. The winner is the top image, the original on the bottom. I react to this. It is not fair to Svetlana, to the competitors, to ArtRage and to Ambient design. Not fair to the international rules of artists right (immaterial rights) or copy rights. What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR competition.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	281.2 KB 
ID:	92050
    Are you referring to the rule that it be "entirely your own work"?

How would you apply that rule to, say for example, your own masterful rendition of the "Mona Lisa" or "The Last Supper" from scratch using only ArtRage?
    It's a "copy" in the sense that someone else's original composition and subject matter was repainted... but all of the work done to make the copy was yours... I suppose the question is whether or not it still qualifies as "entirely" you own work, certainly much of it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Stahle View Post
    What do you think?
    thank you for exposing this shameless art thief!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    How would you apply that rule to, say for example, your own masterful rendition of the "Mona Lisa" or "The Last Supper" from scratch using only ArtRage?
    how would you react if this was your original painting replicated by someone else without ever mentioning it's approximately 95 % derived from pre-existing work?

It's a "copy" in the sense that someone else's original composition and subject matter was repainted... but all of the work done to make the copy was yours...
    your application for the devil's advocate opening is approved.

See the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Are you referring to the rule that it be "entirely your own work"? How would you apply that rule to, say for example, your own masterful rendition of the "Mona Lisa" or "The Last Supper" from scratch using only ArtRage?
    It's a "copy" in the sense that someone else's original composition and subject matter was repainted... but all of the work done to make the copy was yours... I suppose the question is whether or not it still qualifies as "entirely" you own work, certainly much of it is.
    Well the artist, is pretending that it is his work of art only, that he invented the subject, choose all the colour, hues, tints and shades, composition, and so on ... that is what is happening here. The AR5 price winner did not mention the original artists name. Did not tell us that Svetlana invented the picture.

If I make some Mona Lisa or Last Supper ArtRage art, no one would believe me if I said that I invented them. Everybody knows that I did not. But nobody knows about Svetlana (exept me?). People believe the AR5 contest winner did invent the picture. See the difference?

I made some fun about Mona Lisa (as in my "Spoon a Lisa), some fun of a painting in the Sixtine Chapel, some fun of the Scream of Munch and so on, I altered the meaning of those works of art ... but this ArtRage 5 contest winner did not alter the meaning of the Still Life by Svetlana, just made a copy. There is a big difference in using an old painting as reference or "sampling" and making just a copy of it.

Name:  Spoon_a_Lisa.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  24.4 KB
    Last edited by Henry Stahle; 01-29-2017 at 12:29 AM.
    My Art Blog : Pennstreck
    My Instagram: Instagram

Bad form... Always give credit where credit is due. Learn how to take an original photograph; and then go for it. Copy the snot out of it using your own picture!

Henry, I can understand your frustration. If that was the rule of the contest, then imho this entry should be disqualified. There is nothing original in it. It is a copy. Adding a little butterfly doesn't cut it. I would not be surprised if it is mostly a paintover.

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata View Post
    thank you for exposing this shameless art thief!

how would you react if this was your original painting replicated by someone else without ever mentioning it's approximately 95 % derived from pre-existing work?

your application for the devil's advocate opening is approved.
    Henry and nekomata, please note I was careful not to actually pass judgment as to whether the rule was actually broken or not... I was only raising questions we all could ponder before passing judgment, and I'll stand by that 100%, pondering prior to judgment is always a good thing.

As for what I actually advocate, I cannot advocate either way because I am not entirely certain the rule was broken, why? Because I am not entirely certain what the rule maker meant. This is crucial for determining whether or not in fact any rule was broken, and since I cannot know what I do not know, I cannot judge here. Had I made the rules, I would have my own opinion about who would qualify, but my opinion means nothing in this case... the question of whether a rule was broken all hinges on what Ambient Design actually intended by "entirely your own work". I am sure we will hear about that in due course.

I strongly agree, however that at the very least, credit was clearly due here for the reference used in the creation of the work which so closely resembles it.

Obsetting indeed

I see what you meant Henry... A nice little competition, with nice people... but fairness is also involved (or should be!). I went myself for the AR5 key prize, but couple of weeks before also competed on The Digital Painter's AR5 key's giveaway... I just could not take the image that i made for the DP competition and drop it in the AR competition... I am a lazy guy, but not that lazy not to create (or at least try) something different for different events, though the prize was the same. And yeah, it was fun setting goals, seeing them develop and creating something unique in the process. At least I'm proud that i could do it. (and I won on... neither of them )
    I'm the happiest man in the world. I just don't know this, yet.

my gallery: http://members.artrage.com/gallery/32810

I think I have to agree with Henry on this one. While none of us can say for sure exactly how much originality the contest was looking for, I think it's safe to assume they were hoping for a lot more than this.

Speaking of rules... it looks like the indian village one is dated 2012 under the signature. Im on my phone and couldnt really see it that great. But that sure looks like a 2 at the end.