Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Artrage 5 Questions!

Not sure if its considered a traditional tool or not.. but are there any improvemwnts planned for the airbrush? It seems to be the worst tool in terms of pretty bad aliasing and very poor blotchy softness on the edges going from dark to light. If you make it real big like 500% there are hard lines between each value around the edges. Not soft transitions.

It really needs improvement and some antialiasing as straight lines with it come out pretty horrible. The canvas size here was 3000 x 1688 and 300 pixels/inch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airbrush.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	92013
    Last edited by CMDesign; 01-23-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CMDesign View Post
    Not sure if its considered a traditional tool or not.. but are there any improvemwnts planned for the airbrush? It seems to be the worst tool in terms of pretty bad aliasing and very poor blotchy softness on the edges going from dark to light. If you make it real big like 500% there are hard lines between each value around the edges. Not soft transitions.

It really needs improvement and some antialiasing as straight lines with it come out pretty horrible. The canvas size here was 3000 x 1688 and 300 pixels/inch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airbrush.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	92013
    Nothing's changed with that tool and I think this is the first time anyone has actually mentioned issues with it. 500% and high hardness is really pushing it - that's a super demanding brush - so that's never going to be ideal.

That said... I cannot get the same result as your image. Do you have any custom stylus properties? 100% Hardness here is just a solid line (like the Ink Pen) and softer strokes don't generally have visible 'steps'. To get rid of the very sharp edges, drop hardness down to 90-99%.

edit: unless you zoom into pixel level, of course, but that's just a result of it being digital pixels, not the tool itself. And even then, it's barely as visible as your example (and I'm on a smaller canvas).

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Nothing's changed with that tool and I think this is the first time anyone has actually mentioned issues with it. 500% and high hardness is really pushing it - that's a super demanding brush - so that's never going to be ideal.

That said... I cannot get the same result as your image. Do you have any custom stylus properties? 100% Hardness here is just a solid line (like the Ink Pen) and softer strokes don't generally have visible 'steps'. To get rid of the very sharp edges, drop hardness down to 90-99%.

edit: unless you zoom into pixel level, of course, but that's just a result of it being digital pixels, not the tool itself. And even then, it's barely as visible as your example (and I'm on a smaller canvas).
    No, I don't have any custom stylus properties for Artrage.. or any other program that comes to mind for that matter. It never occurred to me that this was an issue for just me. But this is a problem for me. I have to watch the airbrush pretty closely if I make it too big or make the edges too hard to make sure its not going to leave awful aliasing or do what the soft brush did in the pic.

I don't usually use the airbrush at 500% or 100% hardness. That was mainly to show the issue. However sometimes I turn both up all the way just to make a quick easy perfect circle. Or I would like to use it to make broad straight lines with hard edges but thats not currently possible due to the aliasing I experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CMDesign View Post
    I would like to use it to make broad straight lines with hard edges but thats not currently possible due to the aliasing I experience.
    I'd probably turn to the Ink Pen Tool for that purpose. Have you tried it?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

new custom brush...."not real media" ?

[QUOTE=HannahRage;514064]It will be added to our suggestion list The blending isn't the same, as it's just a pixel tool, not 'real media' simulation, but with the right grain and settings,

Hey Hanna
    I just noticed this response you gave to another question and Ive been wondering about something.....Im thrilled there is new version of Artrage coming out!
    Is this to say that the new custom brush...which looks totally awesome ...does not actually create any real media ( as do all the other tools)...its just flat pixels? Huh? Why?
    The one thing most of us were waiting for is the ability to create custom brush heads for the oil and watercolour tools.
    PLEEEEEEEEASE tell me the new version will have the ability to create custom brush heads for the oil and watercolour tools ?
    Thanks

s

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I'd probably turn to the Ink Pen Tool for that purpose. Have you tried it?
    No, I don't guess I ever have. At least not for that. I'll definitely check it out though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Is this to say that the new custom brush...which looks totally awesome ...does not actually create any real media ( as do all the other tools)...its just flat pixels? Huh? Why?
    It's relatively easy for us to add, it gives people an alternative to the sticker spray for simple art brushes, it gives users a lot more options, and it lets you duplicate most tools from other art programs (this is how they do it, mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    PLEEEEEEEEASE tell me the new version will have the ability to create custom brush heads for the oil and watercolour tools ?
    Way too complicated. Again, while we'd love to improve these tools in general, it's something that will require a lot of time and thought and experimenting before we can even be sure there are any changes we can make.

The brush heads, for example, are currently a fundamental part of the brushes, so custom brush heads would require a whole bunch of things (there's lighting, depth etc... take a look at the new sticker creator, all those options? We'd probably have to add something like that or find a way to *really* simplify it).

Can artrage5 beta keys be given forward?

Hi Hannah,

one of your beta testers seems to give his beta key away. Would that be allowed / genuin?

Cheers
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHart View Post
    Hi Hannah,

one of your beta testers seems to give his beta key away. Would that be allowed / genuin?

Cheers
    Michael
    Their actual beta key? No, but we've given out some free copies for prizes to our advance video reviewers and some of those are still leaking out in various contests (prizewinners won't get access to the beta, they'd have to wait for the release) and there will probably be a few more to come. So if they've actually got a copy of AR5 and have posted reviews or tutorials, then it's genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Their actual beta key?
    I don't know, he seemed to be a beta tester. But he stated on FB that it isn't a beta key that he is giving away.