Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Artrage 5 Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by minorin View Post
    The panel is not fixed.

It's not working.
    Drag your *cursor* over the indicator, not just the menu. This is to let you move menus to the side of the screen without accidentally docking them (I've updated the online guide to be a little clearer).

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    There's some info about saving and recovery here (not automatic save though):
    https://www.artrage.com/faqs/recover...rage-painting/

I also read somewhere that AR5 has an improved saving process to minimise problems.

Maybe you could try something like sticking a post-it note "SAVE NOW!" on the side of your screen as a reminder until it becomes a natural habit or perhaps set an alarm reminder.
    Yes, ArtRage 5 should never overwrite and corrupt your existing save if the program crashes, so at worst, you will just lose recent changes and (hopefully) this FAQ will become irrelevant You can turn on the backup saves feature to create spare insurance files from previous saves (in Edit > Preferences > Advanced Preferences).

We don't have an autosave feature (yet?) because a) it actively interrupts while you're trying to draw, especially with very large files (the bigger the file, the longer it takes to save), and b) it requires some major rewrites to the save process to be stable and worth doing. So it might be a future update, but it depends on how much time and inspiration the programmers have.

The main issue I've seen as the support person who has to hand out tissues to people is just the 'crash for whatever reason while saving broke the file' problem, and that should be gone in ArtRage 5.

HiDPI?

Hey,

Has HiDPI been implemented yet?

Andy

It hasn't, it's a huge system and we will provide more information as we have it.

Brush Designer

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    We're almost, almost at the point of being able to set a release date and the product is looking pretty final, so if you have any burning questions about the program, we may actually answer

There's a thread on Facebook as well, so you may find your question has already been answered there:
    https://www.facebook.com/artrage/posts/1408152949208999

And we have a page about it here: www.artrage.com/artrage-5 which is where you can find videos and the full list of new features.

To pre-empt the most common questions:

• There are no changes to the traditional tools, except for Pencil and Pastels/Chalk. Yes, we might look at them in future, but it's too big and complicated a project to predict or promise anything right now.
    • No, you won't need better hardware, it will run on anything that you can already run ArtRage on. Unless it runs an unsupported OS, so Windows XP users and Mac OS 10.6 and 10.7 users will not be able to run ArtRage 5.
    • RAM is the best way to improve your performance, ArtRage doesn't care about your graphics card.
    • No, we won't give you a free copy :P unless it's after release and you bribe us with ... oh, $79. Paid through our online store.
    • No, we don't need more beta testers, even if you're awesome we can only deal with so many bug reports at once.
    • No, we're not' rolling out major updates to the apps right now, we're busy focusing on ArtRage 5 and our programmers are slackers who like to sleep at least 3 hours a night. Also, this is the ArtRage 5 thread, it's there in the title.
    • No, we don't know the release date yet. But we will soon, and we'll give everyone a heads up as soon as we're sure.

Now, if you have any other questions, ask away!
    I'm not sure if I'm typing in the correct place. First time here. I have just downloaded Art Rage 5, using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and when I open brush designer, it opens only partially with no 'clear' button at the bottom or close option. I therefore have to do a control, alt, delete and open task manager to close Artrage and start again. Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Larky View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm typing in the correct place. First time here. I have just downloaded Art Rage 5, using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and when I open brush designer, it opens only partially with no 'clear' button at the bottom or close option. I therefore have to do a control, alt, delete and open task manager to close Artrage and start again. Please help
    Starting a new thread (in the technical section) is usually a good idea for new problems, to make sure they aren't missed.
    https://forums.artrage.com/forumdisplay.php?9-Technical

For your problem:

Do you have your display set at a higher magnification? Windows sometimes does weird things to displays and if the bottom of the brush designer is getting cut off, that might explain it.

Does pressing 'escape' close it for you?

Have not had a chance to use this program yet, Art Rage 5, yet looking forward to installing and exploring. I was impressed with the changes made in Art Rage 4 compared to 2, a lot of progress and feature enhancements making the program better.
    Last edited by Stephen Lo Piano; 04-19-2017 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Accidentally posted the same reply twice
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    We're almost, almost at the point of being able to set a release date and the product is looking pretty final, so if you have any burning questions about the program, we may actually answer

There's a thread on Facebook as well, so you may find your question has already been answered there:
    https://www.facebook.com/artrage/posts/1408152949208999

And we have a page about it here: www.artrage.com/artrage-5 which is where you can find videos and the full list of new features.

To pre-empt the most common questions:

• There are no changes to the traditional tools, except for Pencil and Pastels/Chalk. Yes, we might look at them in future, but it's too big and complicated a project to predict or promise anything right now.
    • No, you won't need better hardware, it will run on anything that you can already run ArtRage on. Unless it runs an unsupported OS, so Windows XP users and Mac OS 10.6 and 10.7 users will not be able to run ArtRage 5.
    • RAM is the best way to improve your performance, ArtRage doesn't care about your graphics card.
    • No, we won't give you a free copy :P unless it's after release and you bribe us with ... oh, $79. Paid through our online store.
    • No, we don't need more beta testers, even if you're awesome we can only deal with so many bug reports at once.
    • No, we're not rolling out major updates to the apps right now, we're busy focusing on ArtRage 5 and our programmers are slackers who like to sleep at least 3 hours a night. Also, this is the ArtRage 5 thread, it's there in the title.
    • No, we don't know the release date yet. But we will soon, and we'll give everyone a heads up as soon as we're sure.

Now, if you have any other questions, ask away!
    I just purchased and downloaded the new program at a library internet terminal, so have not installed yet. One thing that is different from Art Rage 4 that I immediately noticed is that the download option has been reduced to one file. With Art Rage 4 there was the option of a 32 bit version, or 64 bit version. I would assume that simply the install_artrage_5_windows file works for both types of hardware architecture with this Version 5?
    Another thing I am hoping did not change is that you do not need to activate this new Art Rage 5 version on-line, all past versions worked fine with a serial number input off-line? For me this is important since I do not have internet on my home computer and use a library for getting things on-line. I probably should have looked over all system requirements thoroughly before purchase yet went ahead without checking since I have never had that problem in the past.
    Last edited by Stephen Lo Piano; 04-19-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

ArtRage 5 installs both 64 & 32 bit versions and you do not need to activate it online, same as before

Hannah, does ArtRage 5 have, or will ever have proper palm rejection on Windows 10? I use a Surface Pro 4 and I still get the odd line appear in my work that I only notice a good while after drawing, so obviously my palm or part of my hand has touched the screen at some point. As soon as I start AR5 I can touch the screen with my finger and it paints a line. It would be great if ArtRage only recognized when two fingers were used (for moving and zooming) but one finger is not recognized. If this is down to the way ArtRage is programmed or the way the N-Trig pens operate, then If possible I would just like to have a key assigned that switches on/off any response from touch and only recognizes the pen input.

This is just a small gripe of mine, as I'm used to the palm rejection in other art software I use (some which arent even as complete a package as ArtRage).
    Other than this issue, AR5 is a joy to use and well worth the asking price.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja-usagi View Post
    Hannah, does ArtRage 5 have, or will ever have proper palm rejection on Windows 10? I use a Surface Pro 4 and I still get the odd line appear in my work that I only notice a good while after drawing, so obviously my palm or part of my hand has touched the screen at some point.
    This is a drivers/hardware issue more than anything, so the answer is a vague and unhelpful shrug, I'm afraid It's definitely something we'd love to have, it's just too unreliable and overall weird right now.

Windows palm rejection is not supported very well by... well, Windows devices, so it makes it very difficult to support it in the software. If we added it to ArtRage 5 currently, it would either work very badly or break a bunch of other things.

For examples of the hardware difference/limitations, Android devices support it natively, as does the iPad with the Pencil, and ArtRage supports it perfectly there. The Surface Studio apparently has vastly improved palm rejection over the Surface Pros (which is the first real improvement in years), so if that becomes standard, it might be at a level we can actually support it at in ArtRage. Or that might disappear and a new driver standard might emerge.

Basically, drivers are very complicated and keeping up with the latest standards involves a lot of shifting goalposts which often move too fast for a tiny team of programmers, so we can't make any specific promises.