Thread: Painting Gap - Switch ON and OFF

Painting Gap - Switch ON and OFF

Hey guys.

There is a small thing in Artrage that sometimes gets in the way when I want to make more precise stuff. It is the gap between the cursor position and the actual stroke. I know this is a feature that tries to mimic the real life behavior of painting and drawing... But in real life we also feel the brush, its bristles touching the paper. This helps us know how it is going to taper the end of the stroke. But in digital it is not really like that.
    There is a thread on DeviantArt that explains this behavior better:

http://artrageteam.deviantart.com/ar...-lag-517854248

It doesn't really bothers me that much. But sometimes I just wanted to turn it off. This could be an aditional setting for Artrage. Probably there is not time to change that for Artrage 5, since it is going to release this month. But this is my suggestion for future versions anyway.
    And I am very excited to try the new pencil tool, because actually this gap feature really bothers me with the pencil tool. It takes away a bit of precision. And I know there is the precision setting with the pencil tool, but it removes the best part: the tilt and the canvas texture.

Anyways, Artrage is awsome!!
    Cheers!! ;D

I'm not sure what you're referring to. You may need to recalibrate your tablet (if you have one). I have never noticed any offset or gap between the cursor and stroke. And I'm 99.9% sure I would have, as cursor offset drives me nuts and makes it to where I cant paint anything. I did have a similar problem with sketchbook pro after updating to windows 10. Had to update sketchbook to fix it. You may need to try a reinstall of Artrage.. just make sure to back up all your paintings and custom made resources/presets.

Nope. If you read this thread on Deviantart that was posted by Artrage (see the link above), they explain the gap and that it is really intended.

To be clear, it's not so much *intended* as inevitable. Long time users will generally never notice it, and the visibility varies with the type of cursor, tool, tool size, and stroke pattern.

To get rid of it, we need to rework our actual brush engine system to do something like fill ahead of your stroke with your predicted next move. Which works fine with very digital brushes in other software but can go badly weird when using paint that mixes and varies in depth and colour and texture with every bit of your stroke.

Thanks, Hannah!

You're right. Better not mess with Artrage's great engine! As I said, it doesn't really bother me, just wanted to see if there was another way. But I am getting used to it! It was just the habit with other softwares.

Sorry if my suggestion did not make sense. But it is very good to have this place to put suggestions.

Cheers!