Thread: Brushwork Study - Grey Winter

Brushwork Study - Grey Winter

I'm trying to adopt a new looser brushwork based technique. I created a number of "dry" and "wet" oil brushes, which are meant to emphasize more or less grain and exhibit more or less bristles, and am trying to learn how to use them to blend, both the paint itself and in other cases "optically" (I'm not an artist .. not sure of the proper term).

The following is a first result from playing around with the new brushes and technique. Any feedback as to how effective this is or any tips for how I could improve it would be greatly be appreciated.

Hope you like it! Cheers to all, and Happy New ArtRage Year!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrushworkStudy_GreyWinter.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	91967
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 01-18-2017 at 05:33 AM.

A few tweaks... comments?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrushworkStudy_GreyWinterC.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	91980

Yes very good Lots of careful work has gone into this and I do like the foot prints in the snow as well congrats will be happy to see more Ploos

I really like the textures you have for the trees, I would think that this had been painted with a physical brush/paint rather than on the computer.
    I also like the white tree trunks you have among the trees, they also look as though they have been physically scratched in with a palette knife.
    Great work and good luck further developing this style.

Thanks eighty+ and newtoallthis!
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 01-19-2017 at 05:37 AM.

I like this monochrome landscape very much. The second one is slightly better because of a better balance and filling of the sky part, although the pylon has a quite neat, linear and essential design somehow contrasting with reference to trees and bushes.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!