Thread: One and Two point perspectives in AR 5...

One and Two point perspectives in AR 5...

Hey AR!

If we need to wait and have you program three point perspectives I think the AR clan would be willing to wait?

I was watching a great video of Niko using procreate this weekend and his usage of three point tells it all. Here is the video:

Jump to 26 minutes, 49 seconds to watch how procreate processes perspectives:
    Last edited by HwyStar; 01-10-2017 at 07:11 AM.
    Robert Hopkins

I absolutely love the way the Procreate perspective is implemented. So simple to use and given that it is vanishing points that radiate lines out from their location, they cross over each other instead of stopping at the corner of the "wall". I prefer the procreate method because I get reference lines all the way through the image.

With that said, I must express my gratitude to the AR team for addressing perspective at all. It is quite good and will no doubt become a staple tool for complex illustrations. Thanks guys!
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Oh! Just to mention, the relevant bit to perspective in the above posted video starts around 26 minutes in. ;-)
    Be well,

Thanks David. I updated my post to start viewing the video at 26 minutes.
    Robert Hopkins

You are welcome good sir!
    Be well,

Name:  art5_persp.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  16.1 KB

New to AR5 here. I am currently exploring and studying perspective and I find it to be a little tedious with AR. A lot of tweaking and moving to get it right. There should be a simplified version like how SketchBook has it, with no grid to distract you. For matte painting and photo works, the AR perspective grid can be helpful, but for basic and quick sketching we need something a lot more simpler and quicker. As of this writing, it seems like AR can't create a single line to be moved around. You can hack it (see image) but you can't move it. It's a lot easier to work with lines and points. Also, the idea of being able to rotate the horizontal line is great. I hope that future versions of AR will have these features.
    Last edited by cb102; 02-16-2017 at 10:02 AM.

The perspective grid is super cool, it would be nice Snap to Perspective is not limited to grid lines only. But any stroke would go to the vanishing points, like Sketchbook Pro's perspective tool which is really handy for quick sketches.

very disappointing pain in the butt, the perspective grid

I can't use it. I use Procreate to do my perspectives then save them in Dropbox to import into Artrage.

Wavered for a few weeks, (Is it worth it?) to get Artrage 5, the potential for perspective made that final decision. I was willing to overlook the lack of third point perspective, thinking I can warp it after the fact.

I got to drawing.
    Wow.

Drop jaw awful.

I don't know if anyone else is noticed, the the material world isn't built on exact grids, aligning with each other. If one is not EXACTLY on the grid line, it's no go.
    I'm sorry I spent the money.
    I'm sorry I thought it would be more like Procreate.

first let me say that i very much enjoy using artrage 4. it has everything i want in an art package except for a perspective tool.

the only reasoni bought artrage5 was for the perspective feature. i'm very sorry i spent the money. it is basically a useless tool. i feel very ripped off.

i thought perspective would work much like all the other draw features, with the exception that the user would select the vanishing point to be used as reference for drawing a line. if no vanishing point was selected prior to originating the individual line, draw would would like it normally does in non-perspective mode. the limitation to 20 lines along on the perspective grid is also a major lack. the perspective grid should work like the orthographic grid does in artrage4. it also appears that edit grid settings for the orthographic grid hhas been removed in artrage5. this makes the orthographic grid much less useful.

a three point perspective option would be a valuable feature of any perspective tool.

all in all, i paid $39.95 usd for a useless upgrade. i sincerely hope the folks at ambient design will stand behind their product and make things right by either fixing the perspective stuff, or refunding the money to the people who have been disappointed by the upgrade as i have been. i would be more than happy to delete artrage5 from my system on receipt of the purchase price.

karen

Sorry to hear you don't like the tool. Edit settings for the orthographic grid are still in the product so it's possible that some of what you're after with that and the perspective system are possible via the settings panel. Could you send an email to [email protected] and we may be able to help - In addition, I can't find your purchase details using your registered email address here so if you let me know those in the email I'm also happy to look at a refund if the product isn't right for you.