Thread: Barbarian WIP

Barbarian WIP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BARBARIAN2.2 - wip.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	375.5 KB 
ID:	91872

I am going quite slow with this one, because of other projects and the holidays. I would be very glad wih suggestions.

Cheers!

Contrasts, yes!

I am not an expert on motifs like this (fantasy) but I see some interesting thoughts in your painting.

One is Dynamics, the "still motion" is very well explained, but some "motion blur" effect would maybe pay of, Her axe is swinging and would maybe benefit from a slight motion blur, and maybe in some other part of the image..?

Another is Contrasts, the lighting is such a thing. Sharp low light, looks great, very dramatic! Still some lighting up shadows would probably get rid of the "statue" feeling. Reflected light from the surroundings would make a change in the realistic looks. One other contrast is woman vs. beast. It can surely be empasized in some way... like soft pale skin vs. rough dark skin, or the other way around? Thinking in contrasts all the way in every part of the main characters and surroundings, yes, that woud take this painting further. A slight "depth of field" effect would contrast main motif from background, even contrasting a foreground from the midground where the characters are having their battle.

Foreground / midground /background... textured and sharp rocks in the foreground, maybe? + something behind the fighters to set a distance and a greater feeling of depth...

These are things that comes to my mind. I will follow the development with great interest

Talking

Thanks a lot for all the thoughts, Henry!! I will try to see what I can do. The movement blur is definitely something that would bring more movement to this piece. And it really does need more depth and contrast.
    I was a lot inspired by Frazetta's work, and wanted to make an exercise that searched for his kind of lighting, fantasy theme and characters... Very far from him of course, hahaha! But it is always good to train.

Again, thanks!!!

Great start. Nice energy!

You have a tangent with her leg and the creature's arm, so you should consider re-positioning them.
    Abba Studios Portfolio

Just Create - My blog about creating comics and graphic novels