ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Super Newbie Questions about ArtRage Lite

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    17

    Super Newbie Questions about ArtRage Lite

    I am very new to digital art in general but have some experience with drawing and sketching, and just recently I bought a Wacom Draw tablet which comes with a free download of ArtRage Lite. Before I was messing around with Krita a bit but at least to me Krita was super buggy to the point where it made working in it really frustrating.

    So without further ado here are my Super Newbie Questions:
    SNQ #1: The thing I really liked in Krita was that you could zoom in on the reference picture by clicking and dragging a rectangle over the area you want to zoom. In ArtRage there seems to be no zooming at all, you can only rotate or enlarge the whole reference, but not zoom in. Am I missing something?

    SNQ #2: Why is this called "Lite"? Is it missing some important features? If so which missing features are the most important for a begginer/advanced/pro digital artist?

    SNQ #3: Can I get a normal pencil? I mean the kind you can buy at any art store, like 4H,2H,HB,B2,B4 etc (Yeah when I am at an art store I don't usually ask for an "Auto Smooth Me" Pencil y know) ? Is this a good approach to digital art or should I stick with the weird pencils?

    SNQ #4: Where do I find useful user-made presets? Are there any user-made presets you would consider essential?

    SNQ #5: Anything else you think is important in digital art that a newbie might miss.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    1,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Optymistyk View Post
    SNQ #1: The thing I really liked in Krita was that you could zoom in on the reference picture by clicking and dragging a rectangle over the area you want to zoom. In ArtRage there seems to be no zooming at all, you can only rotate or enlarge the whole reference, but not zoom in. Am I missing something?

    SNQ #2: Why is this called "Lite"? Is it missing some important features? If so which missing features are the most important for a begginer/advanced/pro digital artist?
    Haha, 'zoom in on reference' is one of those features You're not missing anything, but it's a feature in AR4.

    There are a lot of more advanced options for all the tools and menus - too many little things to list - as well as features like custom sticker spray creation, symmetry and grids.

    There's a full comparison list here: https://www.artrage.com/artrage-lite/features/ and you can try the actual demo of AR4 here: www.artrage.com/demos


    Quote Originally Posted by Optymistyk View Post
    SNQ #3: Can I get a normal pencil? I mean the kind you can buy at any art store, like 4H,2H,HB,B2,B4 etc (Yeah when I am at an art store I don't usually ask for an "Auto Smooth Me" Pencil y know) ? Is this a good approach to digital art or should I stick with the weird pencils?

    SNQ #4: Where do I find useful user-made presets? Are there any user-made presets you would consider essential?
    Open the Settings to adjust your pencil - Auto Smooth Me is a preset, so it's just a saved 'shortcut' ;D If you like using it, great, otherwise, find the preset closest to what you want, then go to Settings and tweak.

    ArtRage 5 has much nicer pencil options that work a lot more like graphite pencils, but that's not out yet.

    In the meantime, SomeoneSane has created these marvellous sticker spray presets that mimic pencil very well:
    https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...625#post451625

    I also recommend https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...-why-don-t-you for some lovely inking tools and https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...ic-MisterPaint for a great range of canvases (also found at http://www.stefanofiorearte.com/?Freebies )

    You can find more things here: https://forums.artrage.com/forumdisp...0-Art-Supplies


    Quote Originally Posted by Optymistyk View Post

    SNQ #5: Anything else you think is important in digital art that a newbie might miss.
    I'm just going to point you at https://www.artrage.com/start-using-artrage-lite/ and then point at my signature
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

    This is not my signature.

    Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    ...
    Thx a lot, that's super useful.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •