Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipad portrait of my daughter WIP

Ipad portrait of my daughter WIP

I'm new with digital art and this is my 5th painting in Artrage on ipad. I don't really get the layers yet, but if anyone has a good link to a thread on why it use them, I will be happy to read it. Hopefully the screenshot got attached correctly.

I wondering what tool is used most when doing portraits? This is mostly oil brush, watercolor brush, and blur.

Any c&c's are welcome. I usually hangout over in wetcanvas in the pastel threads. But I have been for awhile, but my threads are, under same name.
    Thanks
    Betsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	164.3 KB 
ID:	80994  

Welcome Betsy..... your daughter's portrait appears to be coming along quite nicely! I think the tinting and shadows are true to the reference and overall
    really like where your headed here. Any chance of seeing the other four paintings?
    Great job!
    Take care,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevemawmv View Post
    Welcome Betsy..... your daughter's portrait appears to be coming along quite nicely! I think the tinting and shadows are true to the reference and overall
    really like where your headed here. Any chance of seeing the other four paintings?
    Great job!
    Take care,
    Steve
    Thanks Steve,
    It's coming along, but I'm at a real loss on blending and shading. Trail and error mostly.

The first painting was generally blobbing the tube of paint on and troweling it out with the pallette knife, nothing special at all. But it got me addicted.
    Attachment 80997

The next is sorta a gauche of our donkey Clarabelle.
    The 3rd are new Easter egger chicks.
    The 4th is giving me all sorts of headaches.... One of the farms in the area agreed to let me use one of her photos while giving credit to her farm, "Virginia Kune Kunes". I did a painting she went nuts and has to own it outright! Now I'm stuck trying to decide what an appropriate price would be to charge her. She wants to use it on her site and in flyers and add's....just don't know what to do! And she is waiting! An advice gladly accepted. She wants to send me all sorts of commissions .....what would I charge them?

Gosh it would have been easier if I hadn't showed it to her, now I am in deep water.

Views:	368 
Size:	383.6 KB 
ID:	81001   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	367 
Size:	259.9 KB 
ID:	81000   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	367 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	80998   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	364 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	80999  

Hi Betsy....These are good, were you painting before digital? Piglet and chicks are great and I can see why the farm wants the piglet painting for they're business.
    As for your dilemma, I just don't know..but I am sure someone in the forum has some answers for you. I have a friend visiting and they mentioned you should reserch 'licensed artwork, you still retain ownership of the artwork and paid royalties or a flat fee with timebased contracts. Or up front sale/buyout... come up with a agreeable amount, but your selling your rights to ownership of the artwork. I think you should also take in consideration of the talk of future commission artwork with the company. And basically all of these options do need paperwork, contracts and bill of sales, Wish it was as easy as a 'handshake'!
    Take care,
    Steve

Steve,

Thank you. I have worked in pastel for a few years, but I have been down and out with MS symptoms the past year and moving to a smaller house without a studio. Waiting for next spring when we can start on it. I decided to try my luck with the ipad, as it becomes difficult holding onto small things, and the dust!

I like the painterly approach but finding it difficult to marry them on the portrait when shading.

Here is "applejack" 9x12" on pastel paper. I think it would be interesting to see how close I can get the ipad to duplicate the same feel as the pastel piece.

I have successfully ignored the piggies problem most of day.
    Thank you for your insight.
    Betsy

Views:	338 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	81009  

Hello Betsy.....I kind of thought you've been doing this for awhile because of the quality of your WIP portrait. Took some time to check out your 'Blogs' and enjoyed viewing your work.
    Sorry to hear about your health issues, my best wishes go out to you.
    Take care,
    Steve

Lynda.com author, Digital Tutors instructor
    I think trying to replicate Applejack on the iPad is an excellent idea. I am confident you can manipulate the tools to your satisfaction. You're going to do great.

ArtRage4.5.9 MACPRO (El Capitan), Wacom Cintiq 13HD, iPad3, Note 4, Wacom Intous & Nomad Brush Compose.
    ArtRage Courses: Intro to AR, Materials in AR, Portraits in AR (http://tinyurl.com/j6cyvwx)

Steve,
    Thank you for looking in to the blog, it's been a long time since I posted I should put some more up on it! I am playing with the knife settings on another painting, so I don't mess it uP too much.

Victor thank you for the confidence in me, let's hope I can get it at least half way!

Thanks for looking and commenting I love c&c's
    Betsy

Hi and congrats on your paintings ! all of them very well done.

Now concerning your portrait and since you asked for critics...

- The head and neck are placed too far left compared to the body. the eye on the right side (her left eye) is a bit too far on the right. The nose seems too pointy compared to the reference photo. That 's all I see for now. All of these corrections can easily be made by selecting the area involved and move them to the correct location. You will then just have to fill the gaps and it will look just fine. But once again this is a great painting.

I hope this helped.

Wish you well,

Yoann

Yoann
    Thank you for you reply and crit! Now that you have said that I see the eye is too far over. I will work on that hopefully tomorrow. Yep the nose too! I started to fix the things I saw today, and I am happy you noticed that.

I mainly worked on getting the skin to feel more translucent at the moment with blues as she has very fairly light fine skin. Looks like her nose went suntanning without the rest I'll play with that. Her bottom lip got too small and top too big....I only see this after I put it up!

I wanted to post to show I am working in it!
    Thanks all
    Betsy

Views:	363 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	81068