Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can only draw straight lines?

I can only draw straight lines?

I just got ArtRage and I can't figure out how to draw curved lines. Every time I try to draw something it will only let me draw a straight line. Sometimes (I'm not sure how) it will let me draw a curved line, but then it will switch back to only straight lines. Does anyone know why this is happening/how to fix it so I can draw curved lines??

Hello fss99 and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    My first thought is; have you accidentally left the ‘Snap To Grid’ function On?
    It’s possible to have it active whilst the actual grid is invisible. Something that's caught out many in the past!
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 00.40.33.png
Views: 2668
Size:  140.9 KB
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

I'm not sure if thats the issue, but in my menu it doesn't have that option. Is there another way to see it? Also, when I was using the demo version, I had that option in the menu and I didn't have any problems. Just after I downloaded the lite version, is when I started to have trouble.
    Last edited by fss99; 12-27-2016 at 03:46 PM.

Hmmm. Is it 'projecting' a straight line and then filling it in after you click? Or are the lines just not following your stylus?

Any chance 'ctrl' is being pressed down?

Can you draw normally if you switch to the mouse instead?

If you're on Mac OSX, this seems to be an issue with the latest driver - try installing an earlier one - anything between 6.3.11 and 6.3.18 should be fine.

Here's a direct link to 6.3.15-2 to try:
    http://cdn.wacom.com/u/productsuppor...t_6.3.15-2.dmg

Have you selected Smoothing?

That attempts to 'straighten' lines nes.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Hmmm. Is it 'projecting' a straight line and then filling it in after you click? Or are the lines just not following your stylus?

Any chance 'ctrl' is being pressed down?

Can you draw normally if you switch to the mouse instead?
    It is projecting the line, but it doesn't happen when I use the mouse. Also, when I do press control, it doesn't do that. But the lines do follow the stylus.

Ok, it sounds like it's definitely the latest tablet driver - it has an issue where once you press a 'sticky' key (e.g. CMD, in this case) it stays active permanently in the program. Uninstall it, clear your preferences, and install an older version (e.g. the one I linked above).

Hello Hannah.
    Just for clarity, is this issue peculiar to AR Lite on Macs using a Wacom tablet?
    I ask out of curiosity as I’ve been using the latest driver, 6.3.15-3, since it was released in January and have never experienced this with my Intuos4.
    Last edited by markw; 12-29-2016 at 01:46 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello Hannah.
    Just for clarity, is this issue peculiar to AR Lite on Macs using a Wacom tablet?
    I ask out of curiosity as I’ve been using the latest driver, 6.3.15-3, since it was released in January and have never experienced this with my Intuos4.
    The latest driver is actually 6.3.19-10 - you shouldn't see any issues with 6.3.15 and it's the one I recommend above. It's a widespread problem across all Mac OSX programs because the .19 and .18 drivers are trying to incorporate pen/touch related changes for OS 10.12 (Sierra), and therefore only half work. The problem generally pops up when you use the pen at the same time as certain key commands, so you might not see it all the time.

Support for OS 10.9 and earlier was also dropped in recent drivers, as part of these updates.