Thread: Let There Be Light - Old Lantern

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Let There Be Light - Old Lantern

I spotted a cool lantern on a wall at the Columbus Zoo (Columbus, Ohio). I took a picture of it years ago. Using that as a reference, I painted this. I found a cool way to make textures... "Easy Dirt" in ArtRage. I love experimenting with things to figure out how I have to work to make something photo-realistic or more "painterly" (as my wife calls it).

If you have not tried using "Easy Dirt", give it a shot. I did the stucco wall and the bricks with it. To make the bricks look 3-D, I varied the color and rounded off corners and edges. The bezel was airbrushed, then I used the pallet knife to blend. I also used the pallet knife on parts of the metal hanger and in other areas, the oil brush with little daubs of paint setting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lantern_small.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	91716

Like this a lot!!

Most excellent work... yes I mostly start my work with some of the great sticker sprays especially in the art brush section... and easy dirt is one of my favorites as well.

Nice stuff!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Wonderful!!!

(And thanks for the tip!)

(Y gracias por el consejo!)
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Thank you all for your feedback. I've really been hooked on ArtRage. Although I did a piece a few days ago where I used Sketchbook Pro, Corel Painter, and ArtRage all three on the composition to complete the work. Every application has its strengths and weaknesses. I still think that nothing does texture like ArtRage.

Quote Originally Posted by damasocl View Post
    Wonderful!!!

(And thanks for the tip!)

(Y gracias por el consejo!)
    I was thrilled to discover the "Easy Dirt" hiding among other tools. I can think of so many uses for it.