Thread: White Winter Path

White Winter Path

Comments and critiques welcome. Chalk pastel used exclusively.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winter Path.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	382.7 KB 
ID:	91505
    Robert Hopkins

I like very much the palette and how the textures feel.
    It's a kind of mild naif style painting. Very nice!
    Maybe the tree group is just a little too central .... (made an attempt by cropping it)
    Welcome in here!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Caesar; 11-30-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Hi Caesar and Thank you for the kind assessment!

I agree with you "in part", of the central location of the trees; but before I painted this I read the post by Rob Adams on November 28th (http://www.treeshark.com/treeblog/) where he talks about the Rule of Thirds or Golden Mean and I am inclined to agree with his ideas. Rob is an excellent painter and has been around the block a few times and I do trust and enjoy reading his blog. He has many insightful ideas on painting. But, in agreement with you I did noticed the tree's and their location. I wasn't sure... Thank you for bringing it up!

Thanks for the welcome Caesar! I have been enjoying your paintings immensely over the years.
    Robert Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Hi Caesar and Thank you for the kind assessment!

I agree with you "in part", of the central location of the trees; but before I painted this I read the post by Rob Adams on November 28th (http://www.treeshark.com/treeblog/) where he talks about the Rule of Thirds or Golden Mean and I am inclined to agree with his ideas. Rob is an excellent painter and has been around the block a few times and I do trust and enjoy reading his blog. He has many insightful ideas on painting. But, in agreement with you I did noticed the tree's and their location. I wasn't sure... Thank you for bringing it up!

Thanks for the welcome Caesar! I have been enjoying your paintings immensely over the years.
    Thank You! I'm quite honored and even embarassed by Your warm praise (being just an amateur as most in here).
    Obviously I only gave a modest opinion, since You asked for, but I admit that the scene is so well painted by You, that the difference is almost unperceivable and probably just a matter of personal taste. Moreover I like the purple and violets among the green since ever and all the color touches You gave all over.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thumbs up

Thanks so much Caesar! I do appreciate the critique.

I am really starting to get into ArtRage using the pastel chalks. And, only the chalk variant, so far. I don't always care for the way the wax blends but it is probable something I am doing wrong. This painting, I did not use the pallet knife. I used side colors for blending a section. The pallet knife doesn't blend the chalk pastel on the canvas like it would if we used our fingers; in my opinion, and my lack of abilities with the tool so far.

After studying a few pastel books and looking at pastel paintings online for years, it appears that pastel artists love to use purple in their landscapes. And, I quite agree with that. Purple is my favorite color. Mixing it with those yellow/oranges of fall and the colors are priceless.
    Robert Hopkins

Hi Robert Yes I agree with Caesar about the colours very good But thanks for rob Adams a sheer delight

Of viewing fantastic. Works CIAO. SLAINTE

Thanks Eighty+ You rock Man!

Rob Adam's blog is a great read for "us artists". There is six years of great material there and should be a must read for all of us, if we really want to take this seriously and to the next level.
    Robert Hopkins