ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only possible to export at 72 dpi ???

Only possible to export at 72 dpi ???

Ok - forgive me, I'm a Artrage2 newbie.....so if I have this wrong, please please please correct me. I can only "export an image" at 72 dpi? I imported a 2.5 square .png file at 300 dpi that I want to fill with paint. I filled with paint. But then I exported it as both a .png and a .psd (maintaining my layers) and both came out 10.5 square at 72 dpi. ACK!!! Am I doing something wrong? I need this to be 300 dpi.

Can someone help me?

Kari

Bumping because I'd like to know, too.

In ArtRage 2.2 files are exported at 72 DPI because we dont keep an internal DPI setting. Note though that ArtRage doesn't change the actual number of pixels in an imported PSD or PNG.
    This means when you export an ArtRage painting to a PSD it still has the same quality and number of pixels as it originally came in with.

The problem is that the apparent dimensions in inches or centimetres changes in Photoshop or some other application that reads the PSD.

All you need to do then inside Photoshop is change the printing resolution of the document back to 300 DPI. There's a 'gotcha' though, because Photoshop changes the apparent size of the document when you alter the DPI.
    So follow these steps (Photoshop 7):
    1) Export the PSD from ArtRage
    2) Open the PSD in Photoshop
    3) From the 'Image' menu, choose 'Image Size'
    4) Take a note of the current Pixel Dimensions of the document (say, 1024 x 768 pixels)
    5) Change the Resolution setting to 300 DPI. You'll see that the pixel dimensions change.
    6) Change the pixel dimensions back to what they were (eg: 1024 x 768)
    7) Turn off the 'Resample Image' checkbox
    8) Hit Ok.

Your document will be exactly the same size, at exactly the same print output as it was before you opened it in ArtRage.

There is an upcoming release to ArtRage which adds in DPI support, so you wont need to do that with future versions of ArtRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

i hope next version with dpi select 300 i hope it will be great : )

I'm such an "old hand" at Photoshop that I knew that when the time came to take some Artrage work into PS that I would have to do some conversions. If this is helpful to anyone, great.

If you want an 8.5 x 11 piece of artwork at 300 dpi then you're going to put the following pixel dimensions in your Artrage document. 2550 x 3300. Simply multiply your desired dimensions by 300. A 4x5 work would measure 1200x1500 in Artrage if you wanted it to print out at 300 dpi in any other application.

thank you ejcarter - that made it all much easier. thank thank thank you

does anyone know when this 300 DPI support will be added to an update? This is so frustrating and makes ALOT more work. thanks.

I looked at my version that I'm using and it says 2.5 but when I export and then open in another program it says 72 DPI. I thought this was the version it was fixed in??

ArtRage 2.5 does indeed have DPI support. You can adjust the DPI settings when you create a new canvas, or you can use the edit menu, rescale painting (just change the DPI setting, and the painting wont be re-sampled).

When you export to another program the only export format that supports DPI is Photoshop PSD.
    If you export as any other format, you will lose the DPI settings.

well I'll try it again..but when I experimented this morning even PSD didn't keep my 300 DPI settings.

I'll let you know.

DPI settings are only exported in PSD documents, and only when you export the whole painting - use the File menu export rather than the layer function to save out the layer.