Thread: Two unrelated questions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Two unrelated questions...

First, is there any way to have canvas lighting disabled by default? I, personally, don't like it and disable it manually with every new image...

Second, I'm having some weird pencil action. I love drawing with the pencil tool. My favorite of all. But whenever I draw sharp acute angles, I get these weird "pigtails" on the point.
    In the attached image, the top angle is what I would expect when quickly drawing a point with the pencil. (I had to draw two separate lines to get the correct effect.) The image is zoomed in 200% to better show the problem.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  36.2 KB

Windows 10, Cintiq 13HD, AR 4.5.10 x64.
    Last edited by tomatogoatee; 11-07-2016 at 02:00 PM.

You can't have canvas lighting off by default - the natural media effect relies on it, so accidentally starting with it off could cause a lot of problems for people - but you could set up a 'template' canvas with all the settings you prefer, and just use that to start new paintings (then Save As, of course ).

What pencil settings are you using? I can't get that result here at all (see below!), and it looks like your stylus is actually losing contact - so it might be a drivers or hardware issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil test.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	91313

There are newer Wacom drivers, so I'll try installing them. However, I tried just using my mouse (to rule out the tablet) and got the same results.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  34.4 KB
    Also, my pencil settings, but since I was using the mouse, I don't think they really apply. Also, not shown, I deleted the tilt sensing on the pencil tool.

When I get to the point of that angle and start to go back the other way, I notice the cursor will "jump" down then back up, almost like it's trying to complete a curve.

Aha, now I can get it. Yep, that's a tilt/reversal issue, and it shows up more with a mouse because it's less likely to curve/tilt (which was smoothing the corner out when I draw).

It's happening because:

1) You've turned off tilt, which is partially used to create the 'turn' here.

2) the pencil stroke is actually larger than just the dark line. It's the shaded fuzzy edges with a dark strip running through it. The overall stroke makes the turn just fine, but the dark center line is just following the direction of your stroke, so it just has to stop and start.

Name:  pencil test 2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  5.9 KB

If you don't want tilt or canvas texture, try switching to Precise Mode?

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    If you don't want tilt or canvas texture, try switching to Precise Mode?
    Thank you! Putting it in precise mode solved the angle issue for me. But now I have to figure out how to make the "precise" pencil behave as the standard. (I'm having trouble getting the pressure sensitivity to work the same way... But I'll figure that one out myself.

Thank you again!