Thread: Casablanca, The Next Day

Casablanca, The Next Day

She's gone. Rick is back at the end of the bar. He pulls out some old photos, and thinks of what he last said to her..."We'll always have Paris".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paris Pictures.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	91011
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

What a classic. Yeah, nice stuff. Almost like the mindset George R R Martin had when he started writing his own fantasy books. I heard him in a long ago interview saying about his own work and why he got into it [something along the lines of]: I was a big fan of Tolkien and I read everything he had written and wanted the story to go on [ie. those kinds of fantasies].

Yeah, what then happened to Rick I wonder. We know that "Claude Raines was the Invisible Man". . . to steal another line from something else that took on a life of its own.

Anyway, nice and atmospheric photos. Only thing was when I went there I could only locate Audrey Hepburn. . .which also works in a way. . .

So was there some symbolic meaning to this particular painting for you, Skyler? We've all experienced it.

Last edited by D Akey; 10-13-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

D- I'm not sure I followed everything. The process I used is one I have before- to imagine past a storyline, into "what happened next". I understand the Tolkien/Martin bit. I also read that somewhere.
    The images are supposed to be Ingred Bergman. Do they look like Audry to you. Or, am I missing something. "When I went there"?
    Last edited by L Skylar Brown; 10-13-2016 at 11:42 AM.

No, I got that it was Bergman in your art. Nice paintings. And they don't look at all like Audrey Hepburn. Sorry that wasn't clear.

I was just being glib about my personally never having Bogey's Bergman and Paris on or off the screen, alas, so all I could ever say to her would be a weak "We never had Paris, kid".

I did see a movie with Audrey Hepburn in Paris, but having nothing to do with Casablanca. Musing aloud that if I were to be able to say "We'll always have Paris" in honesty it would have to be with her since I saw Hepburn's movie but never experienced Rick and Ilsa in Paris. I assume for the characters it was pretty swell though, lucky people. I had Paris with for real with somebody else altogether, fortunately in a much more peaceful time.

Anyway, it's a really cool painting you did a list topper of the greatest films ever. Your stuff as ever is a pleasant surprise when I see your posts in the forums.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Now, I Understand! Makes sense, now. I think the movie was "Funny Face, if not that, it had to be "sabrina.

The closest I can come is- " We'll always have Alamogordo" >>>>>>>>>Not Quite Paris!

Quote Originally Posted by L Skylar Brown View Post
    " We'll always have Alamogordo"
    Hahaha. With more than a little truth to it as well for the human race. Would definitely have changed the story had they used that line, premature as it would have been.

Ah, yes. I remember it well. There I was, a 17 yr old junior (I started school a yr late). There she was, a 21 yr old stenographer, with her own car, her own apt. And she was on the rebound from an affair with the Much older Manager of the Alamogordo Teen Center. What else could I do?!

I love the faded look of the watercolor and the arrangement of this composition. The photograph, the watercolor page, the desk...

I've never seen the movie, but I know enough about it to know how touching and melancholy this is.

Thank you for sharing. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by L Skylar Brown View Post
    Ah, yes. I remember it well. There I was, a 17 yr old junior (I started school a yr late). There she was, a 21 yr old stenographer, with her own car, her own apt. And she was on the rebound from an affair with the Much older Manager of the Alamogordo Teen Center. What else could I do?!
    Yeah, from your description it was the first romance of the atomic age. Got to be a movie classic in that one. Now all you have to do is pick a star to play you. So it would be a cross between Casablanca the sci-fi movie about the giant ants THEM!.

Actually sounds like a dream come true. A bit like Paris, Texas.

OK, you made me laugh out loud again...Paris,Texas, indeed. You know, Paris Texas has a replica tower. Not quite as large, and it is located in the Miniature Golf Course!