ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Hello! I'm a self-taught student artist of 6 months and new ArtRage fan.

Hello! I'm a self-taught student artist of 6 months and new ArtRage fan.

Hi there!

I'm Ava, and I've been teaching myself art. All told, I have been able to put together 6 months total of consecutive art study, which has been broken up by severe illness (still ongoing). I was a software developer for over a decade in a previous life. I'm still somewhat young but not as young as I used to be.

I didn't draw before I quit software development, apart from software logic flow charts and circuit diagrams in college. I didn't think I really could do anything more than stick figures, but a good artist friend of mine saw potential in me when I started trying to do fairly radical image manipulations on stock art resources I had bought in my first attempt at a small business after a life at Large Tech Company.

So anyways, after a year-long break and then a few months break, I am back to drawing and studying art. When I am too sick to draw (which is often) I try to read and at least examine a bit of art for a little while.

I am a little sad that I'm not progressing faster, but that's to be expected, what with the illness and all, and also being a raw beginner.

Anyways, here's some stuff I did before I discovered ArtRage, using an older iPad, one of the stubby Wacom styluses, and random art programs. Collected into a little image strip, the top covers my approximate skill for the first four months and the bottom my skill at the start of the last two months.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	90911

(From left to right, top to bottom: finger + unknown art program, stylus + procreate, stylus + procreate, and the bottom is all stylus + Bamboo Paper.)

Then I discovered ArtRage, and have been doing simple sketches in it, because I'm not confident with color, much less watercolors that actually act more like watercolors, or oils that act anything like real oils.

Recently I have been doing pen and ink work on Real Life Paper for Inktober:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pen and ink pieces zong shi.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	90912

That has been extremely rewarding. (I owe a lot to Alphonso Dunn for giving me the courage to do pen and ink even though I am still a baby artist.)

Anyways, ArtRage! Have been totally geeking out about it:

Name:  screenshot.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  81.1 KB

Anyways, I wrote a long comparison between Manga Studio (Clip Studio Paint) and ArtRage on my tumblr.

Funnily, that comparison resulted in someone ranting at me about how I'm only doing a little bit "better" because I'm using expensive fancy software (even though $50 each for manga studio and ArtRage is nothing compared to a single year of Photoshop at $110) and that my "skill" is actually very poor and I'm so incompetent that I'm using ArtRage as a crutch.

So I did a tomato in MediBang Paint, which is almost near the bottom as far as art programs go, but is near the top for free art programs:

Name:  tomato.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  29.5 KB

And. Well. It's a decent tomato for someone who started drawing essentially less than half a year ago. My artist friend says that is a tomato they would have been proud of when they entered college ages ago, and at that point my artist friend had been drawing for far longer than I at this point.

So yes. I have a bit of skill. I just need to keep working it and practicing and learning from great artists and surrounding myself with fellow artists who are better than me. ^_^ And then someday maybe I'll be an illustrator.

Anyways hi! I'm off to start a gallery thread with the one piece of Inktober art that I've done on ArtRage so far. I will fill it with more ArtRage pieces as I continue to learn.

(Note: I can't do all of Inktober. Been sick and unable to draw for way too many days already.)

I think you should be pleased with your progress. You are doing very well.

Thanks, jmac. ^_^ I try my best, although I know I have a long way to go!

You look voracious. That's a really good quality in an artist. Soak it all in and master it as you go.

Welcome.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hi Ava, welcome to the forums! I've been enjoying your reviews and Tumblr posts - they're very helpful

And I'm highly amused at seeing ArtRage described as "expensive fancy software" - usually my job is to persuade people it's not "cheap, amateur software"!
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Thanks, D Akey and HannahRage!

Heh. Yes. Well, they are young.

I'm pretty happy with ArtRage. The only thing I really miss is Retina resolution for everything but that's really a nitpick—everything looks fine even on my retina display anyways, and, more importantly, the program is very usable. I was discussing with my artist friend/tutor the other day—we've both used a variety of digital art software, but ArtRage is the first one either of us have run across that looks to have been designed with an artist-first usability approach.

Retina is something we're working on for future versions (it requires some ground-up UI rebuilding so we couldn't retroactively add it).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Looking forwards to it!