Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Harbour. complete re-work

Quote Originally Posted by damasocl View Post
    Jack: Great work!!!
    damasocl, Hello,
    Thank you , It is nice to see that you like my paintings...... Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

The amount of detail here definitely adds interest, and I agree about the reflections—they are superb. The muted color palette is interested—the subjects (boats, dock, etc) are muted to a sort of olive-yellow, but the sky and water are a contrasting blue. This effect is nice, especially when it comes to the water reflecting the objects (and, of course, the sky).

As for tutorials for this type of thing, I think the best way to learn is (a) observe reflections in real life or from photographs, and (b) then observe the strokes and effects used by painters portraying reflections, and (c) practice and experiment. All three steps take a lot of time and attention to detail, but in the end that process is better than one of those short-cut tutorials on sees around and about on Tumblr, DeviantArt, and even YouTube.

Art and patience go together quite well.

And again, bravo for this reworked piece.

Actually, I realize now how snide my comment about tutorials and observation was, and how unnecessary, because it is rather obvious and did not need to be stated.

My apologies.

On topic, is there a link to the old picture anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Ava Jarvis View Post
    The amount of detail here definitely adds interest, and I agree about the reflections—they are superb. The muted color palette is interested—the subjects (boats, dock, etc) are muted to a sort of olive-yellow, but the sky and water are a contrasting blue. This effect is nice, especially when it comes to the water reflecting the objects (and, of course, the sky).

As for tutorials for this type of thing, I think the best way to learn is (a) observe reflections in real life or from photographs, and (b) then observe the strokes and effects used by painters portraying reflections, and (c) practice and experiment. All three steps take a lot of time and attention to detail, but in the end that process is better than one of those short-cut tutorials on sees around and about on Tumblr, DeviantArt, and even YouTube.

Art and patience go together quite well.

And again, bravo for this reworked piece.
    Hello Ava,
    Thanks for your reply Ava, everything you say here is true, so no need to worry.
    I thought I posted the old version, but I couldn't see it with a quick look through, thanks for commenting on my work though.....Jack.

Well, does look all serene though. Foggy gray morning in the harbor Only sound is the dipping of oars. Nice one. No idea about the rework, since I can't recall the other one either. But this one looks really nice.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Well, does look all serene though. Foggy gray morning in the harbor Only sound is the dipping of oars. Nice one. No idea about the rework, since I can't recall the other one either. But this one looks really nice.

Hello D,
    Thank you for the comment, very nice to see you on my thread, always good to have your input. I seem to have mislaid the original, or may have scrapped it when I replaced it, hope you are keeping well, thanks for looking...... Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by jacktar51 View Post
    Thanks for your reply Mickey, I am pleased the picture reminds you of home, would that be Ireland Mickey??, Thanks for looking at my work..... Jack.
    North Atlantic, but, I was born and raised in the USA. My family lived in a castle in Ireland for about 450 years, though. They came to the USA when England finally took what remained of Ulster-- Northern Ireland. My clan landed in New York shortly afterward. My mother's family has been here since the first English settlement.