Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teutonica

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Cleavage, good to learn about it and what a funny finesse to connect the words separation with the breasts ones!
    In Italian some concept may be expressed by either two close words or two words combined into ones (two substantives, a substantibe, a verb and a substantive etc.) but we don't form kilometric words as Germans, since we usually have pregnant Latin or Greek words to express such complex concepts.
    BTW has cleavage also an extended meaning which has something to do with the so called caesura?
    That's a pregnant Latin question Caesar. I looked up 'Caesura' (apparently made its way into English) and it makes me wonder if it has any relation to Cesarean Birth in which they do an incision to a woman's belly to deliver a baby. I know it's spelled differently but it's close. . . and it is a sort of break or separation, which from my quick Google search it's supposed to mean. But cleavage definitely has to do with cleaving or to cleave. Or if it doesn't, it would give me a moment's caesura. In fact I would go so far as to say that Caesura is closer to Caesar than to Cesarean. So how is it connected to Caesar (the emperor I assume)? What a tumble of linguistics! I blame the Greeks. . . since they're not here.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Dear DAkey, I can confirm Your guesses, since caesura is stictly connected to the III coniug. Latin verb caedo , caedis, cecidi, caesum, caedĕre (accent on the first syllable), to be read with the sound of check) which means:
    1. to kill, to massacre, to (break) down, to destroy,
    2. to cut, to split, to break

and also
    • to sacrifice, to immolate
    • to hit, to beat et similia
    • to rape
    • to cut the throat, to scourge

practically violent actions by means of blades or clubs I'd say.

Not to be confused with either cēdo, cēdis, cessi, cessum, cēdĕre (also frequently used in composed words like con-cession, access etc.) meaning to leave, to retreat, to walk, to be inferior, to surrender and many more or cădo [cădo], cădis, cecidi, cădĕre, meaning to fall, to precipitate etc.

Now, as for Caesar, originally a Roman cognomen, the etimology is uncertain as it may either be:
    from caesaries, hair, mophead, thick and long hair but also helmet's plume
    or
    from caesus i.e. cut, born by caesarean section.
    Another indicated etimology is from Etruscan alsar, meaning great.

What's for sure is that Kaiser and Tsar derive both from Caesar in the emperor meaning.
    Last edited by Caesar; 09-08-2016 at 08:09 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!