Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential questions - please explain

Essential questions - please explain

I am only just starting on ArtRage but have experience on Corel and other apps.

My 3 new questions are:
    1. How do I get to use 'pressure pen' and 'opacity' pen on ArtRage canvas?
    2. Though I have bought the 12 inch iPad, I'm only getting a small size canvas inside the big screen.
    3. I want to draw cartoon strips, and hope to store my cartoon characters for repeat use etc. Can I?
    And does Art Rage have strip cartoon template squares / templates to use?
    From Appy (hope someone can help please!)

Quote Originally Posted by Appy View Post
    1. How do I get to use 'pressure pen' and 'opacity' pen on ArtRage canvas?
    Pressure and Opacity are settings that you can adjust for specific tools (pressure is also automatic if you're using a stylus that supports it). Pick your tool then tap the little 'cogs' symbol in the menu bar next to the tool picker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1728.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	90582

2. Though I have bought the 12 inch iPad, I'm only getting a small size canvas inside the big screen.
    When you create a new canvas, you can manually set the width/height, so make sure you're doing that (the default size is smallish). It will go up to 4096x4096 on an iPad Pro 12".

It may still look small because you're zoomed out, or it may still not be big enough for your purposes (though that's pretty big for average use). If you need really big files, you should take a look at the Record Script function (turn it on when you create a new image, export script when finished, play it back on the desktop at any size - test it in the free ArtRage 4 demo if you like).

3. I want to draw cartoon strips, and hope to store my cartoon characters for repeat use etc. Can I?
    You can import single layers as transparent PNG files from elsewhere - just export your characters as PNGs, and then re-import them when you need them (you can paste or import directly to a new layer in the layers menu).

And does Art Rage have strip cartoon template squares / templates to use?
    The desktop version has stencils, but these aren't in the iPad app. However, you can save a transparent PNG image outside of ArtRage and import/paste it into a new layer or as a tracing image, as needed, same as above.

Something's wrong

Hi Hannah,
    Thank you very much for this VERY useful reply. However, I think I've bought the wrong version or something else is wrong. My screen doesn't show a cog wheel, nor does the page and image swivel round if I turn the pad. The little canvas remains six inch on the 12" screen what ever gestures I make. I bought this IPad version off the iPad's App Store for only about $4.99 or something similar. I also bought ArtRage for my Windows machine version 4.5 and it was more expensive and looks like the picture in your reply, whereas this IPad version is much simpler. Sorry for so many problems, but I'd heard that Artrage was very good, so I want to try it properly.
    My hope is to have an app that I can use for my art on either of my machine (I have network and cloud to pass between them and Windows goes to a big screen too and so can the iPad.)
    Last edited by Appy; 08-30-2016 at 01:36 PM.

It sounds like you bought the iPad app if you paid $4.99
    but...!

This should be what you're seeing - the open menu is the Settings I mentioned.

Name:  artrage for ipad tool menu modes advanced settings (1).PNG
Views: 4927
Size:  409.5 KB

The other possibility is the iPhone/general iOS app, which is $1.99: https://www.artrage.com/artrage-iphone/. It has various tool presets, but no actual settings that you can tweak.

Name:	artrage canvas.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	90584

Hi Hannah,
    I also bought ArtRage for my Windows machine version 4.5 and it was more expensive and looks like the picture in your reply, whereas this IPad version is much simpler.
    Ok, it sounds like you bought ArtRage Touch, which is the app we made for Windows 8 - it looks a lot like the iPad app.

Name:	artrage touch oil brush settings.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	336.4 KB 
ID:	90585

This isn't the same thing as our full desktop program, but it's absolutely fine for getting started with. If you want to go play with the desktop program, try the demo here ;D www.artrage.com/demos
    And there's an overview of all the features in different editions here: https://www.artrage.com/product-comparison/

All the versions of ArtRage will produce and edit .PTG files, so if you want to share paintings around, you can definitely do that (via iTunes, Dropbox, email etc... ). The only thing to watch out for is the canvas sizes - the Touch app has a max canvas size of 2048x2048 pixels, the iPhone app is tiny, the iPad depends on your device but a 12" Pro will go up to 4096x4096. They can't open anything bigger than the size they support. The proper desktop programs have unlimited canvas sizes.

If you bought the wrong versions, you can probably refund via the app stores - your purchase history in the Windows store, and via iTunes for the iOS app. We can't do anything from this end, so you'll have to go through the stores yourself.

Okay solved

Whoops. I see that I mistakenly bought the iPhone app.
    I want to buy the app for the Ipadpro 12" with pencil.
    I already have the iPad and pencil to work with.
    Then I can move forward. THANK YOU!
    Last edited by Appy; 08-30-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Hurrah, mystery solved You should have a lot less trouble following my iPad app instructions once you have the iPad app

Got it

Thanks to you, Hannah! I now have the right app for my art! Big thanks for your superb help.

Another question

I've been searching for a lassoo style knife. I want to cut out a character and duplicate it and move it.
    Is there a tool for this?

Deleted my response - I thought you had also purchased the desktop version.
    Last edited by Enug; 09-04-2016 at 12:39 AM.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

I've been searching for a lassoo style knife. I want to cut out a character and duplicate it and move it.
    Is there a tool for this?
    There's no selection/lasso tool in the iPad app, unfortunately - it's one of those things that doesn't play well with mobile devices in ArtRage, so it's only on the desktop. The usual work around is to duplicate the layer, erase the extra bits and then use Transform (which you can find in the layer menu - it moves the entire layer).

You can also export, edit, and then import to a new layer.