Thread: my brother and i inside the Philip José Farmer univers

my brother and i inside the Philip José Farmer univers

Hello, i m 48 years old and this week i did remember a dream i did when i was 17 years old. i was on the sea, a very clear sea, and there was stargate like in the Philip José Farmer's book i used to read in 1985... i did paint it on artrage 4.5 with a wacom intuos 5m, this week, in 4 days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kickahater copier4.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	90550  
    Last edited by altimaître; 08-27-2016 at 05:33 AM.
    you need wind to fly over heart
    my artstation page :
    https://www.artstation.com/blowthier

Very literary imagery. I love using dreams for inspiration for paintings. Very clearly realized here.

Your style even reminds me of some of Philip Jose Farmer's book covers. I recall meeting Don Ivan Punchatz at his studio in Texas who illustrated several of his book covers. A very nice chap. He would love your painting, I'm quite sure.

I think with the brightness of the colors and lighting that it really brings the scene to life. Very well done!

And welcome to the forums.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I am impressed by the fact that you met the illustrator designer Don Ivan Punchatz. and this is what I said after finishing the drawing, it looks like the illustrative drawings that existed on the book by P. J. Farmer
    you are always there to welcome the new posts as I can see ! For years ! Thank you !
    my artstation page :

When i look at the other painting on this galery, i think that my drawing is better for childrens, the colors are like sugar. well, it doesn't matter, i like my drawing as it is. (my english is poor...)
    my artstation page :

Quote Originally Posted by altimaître View Post
    When i look at the other painting on this galery, i think that my drawing is better for childrens, the colors are like sugar. well, it doesn't matter, i like my drawing as it is. (my english is poor...)
    The colors are bright, this is true, but Punchatz used very bright colors. The difference is that he mixed them a bit more so there was less saturation in places. However, book covers are competition for getting the reader's attention who is browsing the book store, so bright colors do that. But there is a way to do mix (in the case of digital painting there's a way to select colors) with more of a full value range. But rich color is generally desirable if one can pull it off. I don't think your painting is too far off regarding the sweetness of the color.

The other thing is that dreams often are very vivid and even magical, and colors there can be really intense. So you may have been influenced by wanting to infuse your painting with extra vitality because it is beyond the normal life experience.

I would recommend someone who illustrated similar themes, but handled colors with more skill. Michael Whelan is the guy I'm thinking of. And one can always import images into ArtRage and use those images as your palette. So you can use those resource paintings, assuming you like it, where the full range of colors and values are already fully resolved. It's just a starting point to make it easier until you get used to how those painters did it.

Have fun, and I really like this painting. It tells the story with some dazzle.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mich...w=1423&bih=659

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Woaw ! thank you D Akey ! for your message and for leting me know this fabulous painter : Michael Whelan

i like so much ! what an artiste ! thanks !

here is a litle peace of a book i m illustrating, the book is a little story i write in 2009, it is a book whitch will have 2 king of paper : an illustration, the text, an illustration, the text, etc...

20 paper with illustrations corresponding with 20 paper with my story writen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page-9fin-copier.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	278.0 KB 
ID:	90563  
    my artstation page :