Thread: about color-picker tool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

about color-picker tool

Could you modify the tool to pick the color from the painting please? I have a hard time using the option of picking the color with 'parking' the stylus on my color of choice. it works, but the time needed to read the color is so short that I often pick the color unintentionally during painting. A bit annoying when it happens over and over. Maybe the time to read the color could be increased and user adjustable?
    Another option, probably even better, would be to have a (semi permanent) small button at a corner, so that I tap it with the stylus, and then I'm in the color picker mode. After that, it immediately goes back to the previous painting mode. This is different than the existing color picker mode in the brush menu, because the latter requires multiple operations to go back to the previous brush.
    You may think it's a minor issue, but I pick a color very frequently, and would be great to have it doable quickly.
    Thank you.

It's a tricky one to get right because people use it in a lot of different ways, but it sounds like there are a couple of things that will help you:

1. The 'time' is just 'however long you are holding the stylus down'. If the colour isn't quite right, just keep holding it down and moving around, while checking the preview, until it is.

2. If you go to menu > Settings > Tap and Hold Color Sampling you can just pick colours using a long press of your finger on the painting, instead of manually choosing the tool for it.

thanks for the reply, but you entirely missed my point:
    1. the problem is that when I paint, and sometimes I do it slowly, to the point that the stylus stops for a fraction of a second. Then the color picker kicks in against my wish,and changes the color,and I have to select the color again.
    2. Color picking is a fundamental feature of the painting process, and it takes too many clicks (to pick the color and navigate back to the desired brush) if I disable the longpress feature.

would you kindly reread my original post, and discuss it with the programmer? it shouldnt be very hard to implement the solutions I suggested, especially just increasing the delay in the longpress sequence.
    Big thanks.
    I love the app otherwise. Great design!

This is something we had to figure out on iOS, and the Android app follows the same model- unfortunately, some users paint slowly, and the press and hold option gets in the way (as in your case), but others find it very useful. We have to choose a compromise 'time' based on the range of different users, if it took longer to kick in, it would be too slow for many people. It's definitely not something we're unaware of - we had a LOT of feedback about this when it was first implemented.

We have very limited space available in the interface (as the app has to run on small phones as well as large tablets), so adding additional shortcuts isn't really an option.

There are a couple of similar alternatives that you might find act as suitable workarounds (though they are different things): reference images (which you can't paint on, and lets you pick colours by tapping even with Tap and Hold disabled) - e.g. you can export your current painting and add it as a colour reference, and the Samples (the folder in the far right of the menu bar) which lets you collect samples of the current colour you have selected and pick from them later.

I positively like the solutions you offered, both color samples and a reference image, especially that tap and hold works for the reference image even when it is disabled in general. Great!