Thread: Overlaying Stencils

Overlaying Stencils

Hi Folks, I'm new to ArtRage so please be nice :-P

I was wondering if it was possible to overlay stencils on reference images? Specifically rulers as i'm trying to get the correct angle of a straight edge but the ruler seems to sit behind the reference image which sadly doesn't help!

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

why don't you try to put the image as a tracing image?you still can have you ref image but you can use the rulers on your tracing image with tracing? make sense somewhere?

Hello friedkoala and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    As reference images will always stay on top of the work area and tools, AR’s rulers, as you found, won’t work.
    But if you want to just visually check angles in a reference image you can place another Ref Image or Scrap on top of the first one and rotate this second image until one of it's edges is at the desired angle you want to check. You can then drag the rotated image back over your painting to check the angle there.
    Last edited by markw; 08-26-2016 at 01:14 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

If I'm understanding correctly, couldn't you import your ref as a layer on top of your working layer - place the ruler over the ref/layer where you want to measure the angle - then toggle off the view to that layer and open the view to the working layer. The ruler will be overlayed on the working layer showing the chosen angle.

Images might show it better.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 136
Size:  248.8 KB....Name:  2.PNG
Views: 225
Size:  92.3 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]