Thread: Normal round oil brush shrinks

Normal round oil brush shrinks

Hi,
    I'm using Artrage 4.5 64 bit
    running under Windows 10 on standard desktop (non touch screen)
    I'm using Wacom create
    Ive noticed that when using the normal round preset oil brush, the paint shrinks a few pixels when I lift up the stylus.
    Sometimes I need to be pretty precise and this is a minor bother.
    (Don't call out search and rescue on this one)
    Is this a normal behavior? and can I compensate in the settings?
    I'm not very familiar with settings. For tools as I usually use the default.

Hello Edward,
    I think I would have to say, no that’s not normal paint behaviour I've certainly never experienced it.
    If you are finding this is consistent behaviour, even after App and/or System restarts you may want to contact Ambient Design directly about this at; [email protected]
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

If the end of a stroke is getting smaller as you lift the stylus that's probably the brush responding to a change in pressure. The oil brush changes size as you release the pressure because the 'bristles' of the head splay and contract based on how hard you're pressing. If you're seeing this at the end of a stroke and don't want it there are a few things you can do.

First, if you're lifting the stylus with a bit of a flick then you'll almost definitely see it happen. Think of it like a brush: If you flick the brush as you lift it then the tip is moving as the brush is lifted, the pressure on the bristles is released but they're moving away from the thick part of the stroke so they tend to leave a smaller trail. Lifting the stylus slowly makes this more likely to happen because it's a high precision input and it's likely to generate movement as you lift it. Lifting more rapidly, without moving the stylus as you lift, removes the tail from the stroke.

To turn this system off you can either turn off Pressure control of size (click the Preset area at the top of the Settings panel, choose the Stylus Properties option and remove Size from the Pen Pressure section) or just set the Pressure slider of the brush head all the way to 100%. This ensures that there will be no variance in size due to pressure.

Increasing the Stiffness of the bristles also reduces the amount of splay based on pressure but has other effects such as changing how the brush interacts with the texture of the canvas so it's probably not the best option here.

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks for your reply, Matt. It was the entire stroke that shrunk, but since I have in the meantime closed and reopened both my computer and Artrage it no longer does this.
    Guess it was just a fluke.