Thread: Raw newbie question: how to paint over photos not using tracing option

Raw newbie question: how to paint over photos not using tracing option

I want to paint over photos without using the tracing option on my ipad, but haven't stumbled on the way to do it.

As an example, think of Gerald Richter and the way he over paints photos using paints.

Thanks

There are a couple of ways to do this. One is to head to the Gallery and import an image. This gives you a painting that has as its base layer the image that you imported. You can then add layers to that and paint. Alternatively, if you look in the menu in the Layers panel for an existing painting you can import an image to a layer there and then paint over it.

I don't have an Ipad so I'm unsure if you can use this option.

Name:  trace.jpg
Views: 10869
Size:  21.8 KB

BTW I had never heard of Gerard Richter so looked him up and was intrigued to read how he produced his paintings.

Many of these paintings are made in a multi-step process of representations. He starts with a photograph, which he has found or taken himself, and projects it onto his canvas, where he traces it for exact form. Taking his color palette from the photograph, he paints to replicate the look of the original picture. His hallmark "blur" is achieved sometimes with a light touch of a soft brush, sometimes a hard smear by an aggressive pull with a squeegee.
    We can do this with AR - in fact I have done something like this quite often. He can demand millions for his paintings!
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]