Thread: My take on a Vermeer

My take on a Vermeer

My take on a classic - I've got a bit more to do but happy with the progress so far

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pearl.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	90750
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pear_1500.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	456.3 KB 
ID:	90749  

Definitely a modern feel. She seems alive and contemporary, like you yourself had her pose.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Definitely a modern feel. She seems alive and contemporary, like you yourself had her pose.

Thank you - I have pretty much finished this piece now and ended up taking the colour a lot further. Would love to know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	395.1 KB 
ID:	90766

I think the palette is what makes it lively and contemporary. They couldn't or didn't back then from what I've seen at least in that part of the world. I have on the other hand seen paintings that were restored from the Wool Workers Guild from Renaissance Florence Italy where the colors were almost vibrant. Makes one wonder as to whether the super bright colors were meant to be seen at one point in the early life of the paintings or whether it was an underpainting intended to be neutralized as a glaze was worked over it for form.

Anyway, wool dyes were probably bright so it may have been intentional for a specific client as they were all about skill in coloring fabric.

So this looks very lively. Nice continuation.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I like very much your style...!
    Go ahead!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Look forward for its completion, but it's already a pretty interesting and updated as interpretation! Congrats.
    Welcome!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!