Thread: A stream

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A stream

I guess it's that time of the year, where I return to digital painting, just to lose interest a few weeks later...

Anyways, I managed to finish a piece, and wanted to share it.
    (click for bigger)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	90433

Is it too dark? Should I add brighter highlights?

Nice piece. I like the darkness of it.

Given the values in the sky it might look strange to have highlights that are much brighter. Current highlights are consistent with the idea that no part of the sky (elsewhere) is brighter than what is visible to the viewer.

I shouldn't think you need to change the values. The color's really nice in its closely keyed tone. For me it has a sort of cross association between a hard weather moment as well it feels like there could be a chemical type of fire like a burning village or crashed space craft (bigger than a plane), or smoke pluming from some industrial thing like where Sauron was cooking something up or Mordor, or even something volcanic (as opposed to a forest fire which has different colored smoke). Whatever it is it's upwind of us and feels like it's heading our way. In any case, it feels very dramatic and ominous and impending. It's a mood piece. I don't recall if you were the one who did the copy of Frazetta's mounted Death Dealer, but it has a bit of that feel for me. Gotta love your use of sfumato.

If you went in and picked around with the light breaking through more dramatically, with "god rays" and picking out certain spots with sunlight hitting, you would have a contrast which would give a different connotation - a 'forces of nature' kind of idea. So it would be your call what tone you want to imply. It doesn't need it per say.

Anyway, it's really nice painting. Glad you took it this far. Has a production illustration for the movies kind of feel.

Last edited by D Akey; 08-06-2016 at 10:34 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I really like environmental paintings like this. Nice work!
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Really nice painting, has a mystical ambience.

Very moody and mysterious!

Yo concuerdo con los otros comentarios: Realmente extraordinario!

I agree with the other comments: Really extraordinary!
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee