Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Painting Studies

Hi Shades of Wonder I just love the bott and frog and I bow to your knowledge ok

I was wondering in the bott if U could have pushed the glass around with Knife to give it

twisted look ok But don't take any notice of me I'm just a Dab uh do yuh

CIAO IVAYE CON DIOS SLAINTE and as POZDRAWSKI would say Go GO GO lets see More

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Haha. Very good exploration of textures and surfaces. All depends on what's important to you as the artist -- what your style is going to be. That will determine how successful these are. Right now, the frog looks good.

If you're rendering the glass vase, which is a really cool but an infinitely challenging model, overall it could do with a little more contrast.

The thing about that kind of surface is that as a model, there is no form or visual sensibility you can work from one end to the other unifying the whole thing. It's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle of a Jackson Pollock painting. It all kind of looks random thus making it hard to grab in a full way and the painter can only go a daub at a time and hope that by the time you get to the other end of the bottle it has a similar feel.

However, if you're not going for realism, it's not a problem. Just choosing that kind of subject infers you're after realism. So that's what I'm talking about. Challenging subjects are super cool if one nails it. Then the "wow factor" works. And this photo was all about the glass and contrasting lighting giving it an organic shaped, translucent faceted patina. So how's the view up there atop Mt Olympus? Quite a climb.

Quote Originally Posted by eighty+ View Post
    Hi Shades of Wonder I just love the bott and frog and I bow to your knowledge ok

I was wondering in the bott if U could have pushed the glass around with Knife to give it

twisted look ok But don't take any notice of me I'm just a Dab uh do yuh

CIAO IVAYE CON DIOS SLAINTE and as POZDRAWSKI would say Go GO GO lets see More

D Akey and eight+, really appreciate your insights.
    I went back and fixed up all the things that were bothering me.
    The relationship of the values, structure/form, quality of the edges(blurred the background where it didn't need crisp lines - thanks palate knife), and adding in more detail where its needed. I think it really helped to isolate the subject matter from the image. And getting the glass feel like more glass overall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	study003_v2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	174.7 KB 
ID:	90252

Here's the original for difference:

Name:	study03_90m.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	90253

And the original:

Name:	13442341_10154107952586421_3619667020596008974_n.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	90254
    Last edited by worldInShades; 07-17-2016 at 08:56 PM.

A leapfrog of Your Artrage mastery LOL ..... not really, You started already as a very talented and expert artist, so, as soon as You feel confident and at ease with ArtRage, we'll see Your art fireworks!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Oh, that second version (which is the first in this post of the 3 pics) is so much more true to that kind of irregular glass experience. Fantastic improvement to the result with a bit more care as you have shown. Really first rate. Bravo!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    A leapfrog of Your Artrage mastery LOL ..... not really, You started already as a very talented and expert artist, so, as soon as You feel confident and at ease with ArtRage, we'll see Your art fireworks!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Oh, that second version (which is the first in this post of the 3 pics) is so much more true to that kind of irregular glass experience. Fantastic improvement to the result with a bit more care as you have shown. Really first rate. Bravo!

Thank you Casesar and D Akey. Learning lots almost every day. Do really like Art Rage so far. And the bottle paint needed lot more fine tuning.

And the latest study. Trying to learn the program better. Picked a relatively simpler subject
    this time. Learning to utilize the thinner in the brush settings and air brush. Think I need to explore the sticker spray next time.
    About 2 hours and a bit.

Name:	study005_v2.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	90267

Photo reference:

Name:	13641149_10154180385156421_3194664154178295740_o.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	90268

Looks great. I wonder if people know whether you have added a new painting, which would account for the lack of comments.

Nice citrus. I definitely like the brighter saturation. Now, if you're an optimist, you have to paint some lemonade.

And yes, regarding the glass bottle or most any other painting, one can always go in and tighten things or make changes. It's one of the more neurotic aspects to being an artist. We change and see new stuff in our work all the time and might choose to "correct" it.

I saw a little clip from the movie about the painter Turner. Apparently they allowed the artists back then to come into the salons and continue making changes on their own paintings while they were on display. Imagine. Just smell the turpentine! So it's a bit of a challenge to learn to call something "done" and move forward to the next painting and then the next.

I could go either way on it myself. You could change it, add detail and so forth if you're learning. Could always put in the lettering and so forth or if your want to make a portfolio piece or something. But like with this painting of the lemon, it looks like you're already on your way to new subjects with new challenges.

Enjoy!

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You capture subjects masterfully! This lemon is its essence indeed!
    Maybe it would be fun to make anothe version a little more impressionistic by using also an appropriate gamut (from the color wheel) in order to use complementary colors to make it vibrate and further enhance the chroma of the most intense colors (the yellow here). Cézanne docet (i.e. teaches, from Latin).
    Panta rei (everything flows)!