Thread: Ancient Stella

Ancient Stella

Stella are carved scuptures done by Incan artists, they were highly stylized carvings of animals, spirit gods, people etc. This work leverages those works with
    some barely recognizable forms and shapes, like encountering them in the jungle for the first time...by the way this was an area of study for me during
    my college years and I was always impressed by Incan and Mayan art forms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ancient Stella.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	569.0 KB 
ID:	90125  

Well, it's interesting. The native art of the Americas has always been mysteriously evocative, much like their hidden cultures. This painting is mysterious and evocative. So what did you get from the studies of said cultures? Was your study art history or anthropology or what? Hoping that your concept has something to do with what you took away from the classes -- an opinion or impression perhaps? Please tell.

Why the color choices for example? Is purple a big color in those civilizations? I can kinda make out some of their little relief sculpture facade motifs but it's so hard to make out I can't completely fathom what it might be -- snake or bird god or calendar or cigarette ad or something?

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gary, I have to say, I just love this one, I am very partial to Mayan art, as there is so much to see in the paintings and you have done a fantastic job on this, looks like a labor of love, again so much to see, masks, idols etc, will have to go back again lol also love all the beautiful colors

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Well, it's interesting. The native art of the Americas has always been mysteriously evocative, much like their hidden cultures. This painting is mysterious and evocative. So what did you get from the studies of said cultures? Was your study art history or anthropology or what? Hoping that your concept has something to do with what you took away from the classes -- an opinion or impression perhaps? Please tell.

Why the color choices for example? Is purple a big color in those civilizations? I can kinda make out some of their little relief sculpture facade motifs but it's so hard to make out I can't completely fathom what it might be -- snake or bird god or calendar or cigarette ad or something?

Hi D Akey, well I have a minor in Anthropology and studied mainly Mezo American cultures. We did not study their art as much as I would have liked but more about how it developed and became so highly stylized and they did eventually use poly chromatic colors, although in this one those are just me have at it ... there is a semi bird in the central form and in the upper left a jaguar no cigarette ads anymore although the Marlbourgh Man may have wandered past at some point..

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Gary, I have to say, I just love this one, I am very partial to Mayan art, as there is so much to see in the paintings and you have done a fantastic job on this, looks like a labor of love, again so much to see, masks, idols etc, will have to go back again lol also love all the beautiful colors
    thanks Pat you surprised me by your interest in Mayan Art how did that come about? glad you like this little diversion into that realm.

A stella in Italia is a star and indeed this painting is a star, a supernova of beauty. Colors and shapes are just fascinating.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!