Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAST Color picking

FAST Color picking

If you have a Wacom Intuos (3 or higher or Intuos Pro), you can assign one of the pen buttons to modifier alt + left click. There is a slight delay as it performs the operation, but this will allow you to color pick by hovering and clicking, allowing you to remove 2 other input functions and increase the productivity while reducing repetitive wrist motion (and associated long term strain and stress on muscles). I suggest giving this a try if you have the capability, I'm going to be trying to find a way to do this with a mouse as well (maybe with some 3rd party program).

I also suggest the ArtRage team give us the ability to keybind color picking on hover as I've described here directly from the keybindings menu (whether through a keybind or other single input press, like mouse 4 or 5 or middle mouse button).

This hotkey functionality can also be set to the express keys if you prefer to use those over the buttons on the stylus itself. Super handy.

hey mate, I know this an old thread but I have problems with this action after the upgrade to ArtRage 5. I cant seem to get accurate colour picks anymore. They are always light half the saturation or something. Do you have any ideas how to address this per chance? Any help is appreciated

In AR5 there is an option under preferences to pick colours by Tap and holding. Might be useful to someone reading this? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by whitebbwolf View Post
    hey mate, I know this an old thread but I have problems with this action after the upgrade to ArtRage 5. I cant seem to get accurate colour picks anymore. They are always light half the saturation or something. Do you have any ideas how to address this per chance? Any help is appreciated
    This is a bit late, so maybe you've already discovered these settings for yourself, but if you select the Color Sampler tool from the tools menu and then open the Settings panel, you'll find an option called "With Lighting" and a slide setting for "Expand Area" (among other options). With the "With Lighting" option turned on, ArtRage will take its virtual 3D lighting into account when you sample the colors on the canvas. To choose the color alone, you'll want to turn the "With Lighting" option off. The "Expand Area" slide setting allows you to expand the selection area of the tool, taking the multiple colors within its widened area and blending them into single mixed color (IE: if you were to hover over the edge of a yellow stroke and a red stroke and make a selection, you'd pick up an orange color). If you set this slider to 0%, ArtRage will select the color based on the single pixel it's over.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Someonesane: Could you do a screen print of where the "With Lighting" and "Expand Area" settings are please? I have opened up the settings panel for the Color Sampler Tool and my version (Desketop 5.0.4, Mac) does not have those options listed.

This did cause me some grief yesterday when I was sampling a black of a painting and after I posted my final painting I noticed the black I sampled wasn't really black compared to the colors around my selection.
    Last edited by HwyStar; 06-20-2017 at 03:53 AM.
    Robert Hopkins

Hello HwyStar,
    Those options can be found on the Colour Sampler Tool’s “Settings” panel.
    And there are also some included Presets that come with AR5 too.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 18.20.24.png
Views: 2738
Size:  346.4 KB
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Ahhhh! Perfect! Thanks Mark!
    Robert Hopkins

So that nobody else gets confused like I was, you can get to the settings by clicking on the color picker tool in the tool picker section:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 3.51.09 PM (2).jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	93130

Thanks guys!
    Robert Hopkins

If you have a Wacom Intuos (3 or higher or Intuos Pro), you can assign one of the pen buttons to modifier alt + left click. There is a slight delay as it performs the operation, but this will allow you to color pick by hovering and clicking, allowing you to remove 2 other input functions and increase the productivity while reducing repetitive wrist motion (and associated long term strain and stress on muscles). I suggest giving this a try if you have the capability, I'm going to be trying to find a way to do this with a mouse as well (maybe with some 3rd party program).

I'm looking for this option. In Artrage 6 I can't do the quick select, and it's driving me insane. I can't find any option for it either. Can someone help?
    To clarify, in the older ones I could hold alt and click to quick select. Now when I do that, it doesn't actually sample, and I don't understand.