Thread: Gypsy Spirit (Finished)

Gypsy Spirit (Finished)

I was working on a piece called "Sandstorm," which is also in this thread. But I didn't really like the way that the horses in the picture were working together. So I decided to split them up into a series of separate paintings. Here is my WIP of the first one, which is called "Gypsy Spirit." I'm currently working on the first layer of color on the horse. The background may get a few bits of detail (kicked-up dirt, for instance), but it is pretty well finished in my opinion. Hope ya'll enjoy this, it is painting up quickly and shouldn't take long at all to finish. I have discovered that I love painting horses! They, besides cats, are my favorite animal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gypsy Spirit WIP 1.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	89975

Thanks for looking!

~ Scribbles
    Last edited by scribbledsoul; 06-11-2016 at 11:57 PM.
    Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.

~ Henry Ward Beecher

And...done! This was a fun little painting, and I learned a lot of new techniques, especially painting the dust (the whole picture was painted with the felt pen and palette knife).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gypsy Spirit.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	89978

~ Scribbles
    Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.

~ Henry Ward Beecher

3. Amazing ! felt pen ? ... how ?

I must look at that pen again

Regards,

Philippe

Layers, and making use of the multiply, highlight, and shadow blending modes. Also, some heavy blending with the chaos palette knife for the background. The actual horse has almost no blending (except for a small amount on the first underpainting layer). I prefer the felt pen to the paint tools because of the amount of control that it offers, as well as pressure sensitivity. I hope that helps!

~ Henry Ward Beecher

Beautiful result! I'm a horse painter too, since I was a kid. Riding back then got me addicted!