Thread: Max Verstappen caricature (still in progress)

Max Verstappen caricature (still in progress)

Attachment 89966 What I have left to do is detail .. coming soon.

Nice form! Can't wait for the next steps. Hope all's well.

I'm sure the Red Bull people will absolutely LOVE IT. Might want to play that logo down a little in tone so it doesn't compete with the portrait.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Nice form! Can't wait for the next steps. Hope all's well.

I'm sure the Red Bull people will absolutely LOVE IT. Might want to play that logo down a little in tone so it doesn't compete with the portrait.

I will. :-) I just put quickly the main colors, and general shapes in there, like I see them in the reference photo.. So I have some work left on the shadows, and high lights ... But of course the important thing in this piece is his face.. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with the background. In the ref photo the background is very blurry. And a bit boring. An outdoor picture. We will see... Maybe I leave it like that how it is right now :-)

Just remember that the background should be at least blocked in when doing the figure because if you change the background, the figure may have to be changed a lot. For example, if you put some dark darks in the background it will mean that the figure is likely to wash out (the contrast will suddenly compress in to a more narrow range).

The contrast between background and figure are relative. He's also very cool in temperature, so if you add some warms in the background you have to be very careful that you don't likewise do harm to the colors in the figure. This is why it's very risky to do them separately. Otherwise you may spend hours trying to adjust sections of the picture so that it all relates. The cool color you have now is generally the right coolness to go along with the figure.

It's not very interesting, the background, as it sits now, but it does not disrupt the figure. It also would work well were you to put this into print and run text over the background. The background is even and light enough to make that all work. But there too, when designing it, you want to take it into consideration with a thumbnail. Sooner or later you are going to develop to the point that you are not locked into copying the photo.

You're doing very well for the stage you're at and are approaching complete rendering mastery. And you gained the skill relatively quickly. Very impressive. And your stylization in the sense of the caricature itself is great as always. You have a strong sense of that indeed.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Just remember that the background should be at least blocked in when doing the figure because if you change the background, the figure may have to be changed a lot. For example, if you put some dark darks in the background it will mean that the figure is likely to wash out (the contrast will suddenly compress in to a more narrow range).

The contrast between background and figure are relative. He's also very cool in temperature, so if you add some warms in the background you have to be very careful that you don't likewise do harm to the colors in the figure. This is why it's very risky to do them separately. Otherwise you may spend hours trying to adjust sections of the picture so that it all relates. The cool color you have now is generally the right coolness to go along with the figure.

It's not very interesting, the background, as it sits now, but it does not disrupt the figure. It also would work well were you to put this into print and run text over the background. The background is even and light enough to make that all work. But there too, when designing it, you want to take it into consideration with a thumbnail. Sooner or later you are going to develop to the point that you are not locked into copying the photo.

You're doing very well for the stage you're at and are approaching complete rendering mastery. And you gained the skill relatively quickly. Very impressive. And your stylization in the sense of the caricature itself is great as always. You have a strong sense of that indeed.

Thank you DAkey. I don't spend so much time with drawing right now. The beautiful weather,kids,the house and work takes all my time. But I'm going to finish this one. I will find a interesting background to do. Maybe something from my home country, where he is from also. Holland. I will think about the contrast between the colors. But of course I'm not a pro. So I do it probably wrong anyway ; -) Thanks for the tips and I hope you have a nice Friday,and weekend

Well, now it would be the right time for him to win again and fully deserve Your wonderful tribute! Actually he looks older than his age, I find, physically and, in particular, mentally.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Well, now it would be the right time for him to win again and fully deserve Your wonderful tribute! Actually he looks older than his age, I find, physically and, in particular, mentally.
    I saw an interview in dutch with him.. then you hear that he is a happy youngster. . But he knows about cars ...
    It's easy to like this kid. No arrogans. .. Good luck by the way on the E. M in France.. Sweden meets Italy and the hopes are high here . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by danny72 View Post
    I saw an interview in dutch with him.. then you hear that he is a happy youngster. . But he knows about cars ...
    It's easy to like this kid. No arrogans. .. Good luck by the way on the E. M in France.. Sweden meets Italy and the hopes are high here . :-)
    Thank you! I woul reciprocate Your wishes.
    Actually Italy has less class than usual this time and the absence of Verratti and Marchisio, as well as of a top striker seems to make us rely on our defensive pack, goalkeeper included, and teamwork tactics.
    Since soccer requires making goal to go ahead, this time expectations aren't too high and You have a great opportunity, in particular with Ibrahimovic and Guidetti, talking of Sweden now, then You may possibly support Holland as well ...
    We just rely on the fact and a record of impossible missions achieved whenever our odds are particularly low and the team under a certain criticism and skepticism, so curiously we keep somehow confident whatever the international ranking shows today.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Thank you! I woul reciprocate Your wishes.
    Actually Italy has less class than usual this time and the absence of Verratti and Marchisio, as well as of a top striker seems to make us rely on our defensive pack, goalkeeper included, and teamwork tactics.
    Since soccer requires making goal to go ahead, this time expectations aren't too high and You have a great opportunity, in particular with Ibrahimovic and Guidetti, talking of Sweden now, then You may possibly support Holland as well ...
    We just rely on the fact and a record of impossible missions achieved whenever our odds are particularly low and the team under a certain criticism and skepticism, so curiously we keep somehow confident whatever the international ranking shows today.
    We talked about Italy at my work.. If we could say the names of the players in the italiaan national football team.. The only names that we know is Verratti and the guy with teeth marks on his shoulder. .. Buffon isn't the goaly no more I think. We will see.. There are always great players from Italy,so they will do fine.. I support Sweden of course. Will be fun to watch. There are more feelings when Holland plays for me... So it will be a relaxing tournament for me.. :-) The hopes are high here,because of the gold in the E.C U21 for Sweden :-)
    So maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by danny72 View Post
    We talked about Italy at my work.. If we could say the names of the players in the italiaan national football team.. The only names that we know is Verratti and the guy with teeth marks on his shoulder. .. Buffon isn't the goaly no more I think. We will see.. There are always great players from Italy,so they will do fine.. I support Sweden of course. Will be fun to watch. There are more feelings when Holland plays for me... So it will be a relaxing tournament for me.. :-) The hopes are high here,because of the gold in the E.C U21 for Sweden :-)
    So maybe....
    Verratti is out unfortunately. Thiago Motta from PSG too is in, but he's slow ...
    The ones You may possibly know is the Juventus defensive pack, our BBC. i.e. Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini who, with Buffon (he's still playing, You may have seen them all in the last two Champions, with Sirigu, PSG to back him as a second chance) form an almost impenetrable wall and perhaps, De Rossi. All the rest of the players are hardly known abroad I'm afraid and still have to grow in fame.
    Perhaps our best resource, apart from our defensive skills and phase and tactical knowledge is our coach Conte, who is going to lead Chelsea soon, as well as our role as unlikely outsiders, which seems to have been a booster for our team and pride in the past quite often.
    It's good to start by keeping careful of any opponent we have, from Belgium down to Ireland. This avoids any undue distraction and superiority complex that often lead favorite teams to disasters ....
    It would be fun if Italy and Sweden eventually win in their group!