Thread: Faded ink when tracing

Question Faded ink when tracing

I have imported an image as a tracing layer. When tracing it on the first new layer, although the pen is set to 100% opacity! the line created is faded. Can this be corrected so that the tracing is dense black line? I'd be grateful for help. Thanks.

Is that before or after you hide the tracing image? I'm only asking, because it wouldn't be the first time someone's overlooked the fact that the tracing image is superimposed over the entire canvas, which means anything you trace from it is only partially visible through the original image itself. In which case, any lines beneath the tracing image will appear lighter, despite the fact that they are truly being drawn at the proper color.

--Edit-- Whoops, sorry. Just realized this is in the iPad/iPhone area. While the idea remains the same, how you go hiding the tracing image is going to be different because of that.

If you could, please double check that your single layer isn't covered by the tracing image, by clicking on the tracing pod to open the tracing panel and then clicking the eye icon (see red circled area in attached image), to ensure the tracing image is hidden from view.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tracehide.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	290.8 KB 
ID:	89952
    Last edited by Someonesane; 06-07-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Yup, what SomeoneSane said. Try adjusting the opacity, or completely hide the tracing image using the eye symbol to see what your drawing actually looks like.

Here's an iPad screenshot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tracing and references menu.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	89953

Solution

Thanks for the tips, both of you. The situation was difficult because the image to be traced was a light one, and the detail was not very clear.
    But what I did on the iPad Pro was to click the option to convert to paint. Though I wasn't going to lift colour from the image, just wanted to trace it, this had the effect of copying the image to be traced onto another layer at full opacity.

Nevertheless, because the faded tracing image was above it, as you pointed out in your posts, this new copied layer was still faded.

To correct this, I made the original tracing image disappear using the eye icon, and finally reduced the opacity on the "convert to paint" layer to a level which showed detail but wasn't too saturated with colour. not very elegant, perhaps, but it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by grayflo View Post
    ... and finally reduced the opacity on the "convert to paint" layer to a level which showed detail but wasn't too saturated with colour. not very elegant, perhaps, but it worked!
    I actually do that quite a lot

faded ink using circle stencil

Thank you markw for helping me successfully trace a circle! (ArtRage 101). I came across the problem today of faded ink when using the circle stencil. After some experimentation, I realized the stencil had to be in Guide Mode to get the full black ink (I was in Ruler Mode!).