ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: The trouble with brains

The trouble with brains

the trouble with brains is, that we forget...we find a really neat setting, with a certain grain,putting it right down to small scale, reversing the polarity,increasing the size of the canvas, and with brush pressure of,and a size of...and it comes out really great... so we think... must remember that setting, or all of those settings, because it gives such a great result, and then we find another setting for a different effect and thats great toooo, and to go with that we find another grain setting which is really great for stonework, and another brush setting that gives just the right effect for grasses, at a certain pressure and a certain size and with minimum wetness with the light turned off....now what was that first one?????????????????....... Oh dear....forgotten it!!!!!.....Does anyone else experience this, or what!!.......Or is it because I am getting dim in old age and should write everything down in triplicate and hide them away in various different places so I wont loose them, and if I did loose one I would still have two....If I could just remember where I put them??? !!!....Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Oh yes...

THe suggestion was to make EVERYTHING self explanitary,for very dim old people like me.....and invent something that stops me forgetting everthing,just as quickly as I remember it...or the other way around as the case may be....I expect the only cure for it is to go on a severe brain retraining course...where you must remember everthing or you get no dinner for a week......Hmmmm....Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

In photoshop it's called an Action.

An Action is a series of things you do that can be recorded and edited and played back, often at the stroke of a key like a macro.

Handy, especially when processing batches.

Hey Jack - I had a suggestion for you, but I forgot what it was! :shock:
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey
    In photoshop it's called an Action.

An Action is a series of things you do that can be recorded and edited and played back, often at the stroke of a key like a macro.

Handy, especially when processing batches.
    I do like actions, but I was going to call Jack's request a preset. You can kind of do presets if you give it a little thought. Set up your tools the way you like, put the grain the way you like and paper color and what not. Now save it out as something like "paper that is good for grass.ptg" Then go on about your experimenting and make other files when you find a setting that is too good to loose. Next time you have a brainwave about a scene that you want that grass for, just load up "paper that is good for grass.ptg" and set off on an adventure. It works! Try it.

One caveat: You may want to make your files read-only so you don't accidentally save over them having completely changed things in the flow of creative work.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

And the particularly useful thing about Fashmir's suggestion is that it can be done with the program as it now exists.

Good tip!